water filter & softener/neutralizer

Cliff

Looking for Recommendations  on a  fairly sizeable  water filtration system.  I've had the 4' tall dual blister  for years and it 's time to replace it.  I think I want two stand alone tanks and then the  salt container.  But  My real issue is that the  internet is not as helpful as I'd like it to be and I don't want to pay $1500 for installation on top of the system.

So  what do ya think?  Know any decent names in the  business?

There are a few on line retailers that get good marks for their helpfulness. One I've heard loads of praise about (but never used) is Ohio Pure Water. Another one I have used and found to be very good is Discount watersofteners. I bought my last one form them, and will probably get the next one (which I need now) from them. Most of these places sell the entire line of treating equipment, and generally the major brands.

You can check at Home Depot and Lowe's.  Their systems are comparable, easy to install, especially if you are replacing one system.  And, it is not all that expensive.  I think for a whole house system, it is about $500 plus the time it takes you to remove the old and install the new.  I hope this is helpful.  

11 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

You can check at Home Depot and Lowe's.  Their systems are comparable, easy to install, especially if you are replacing one system.  And, it is not all that expensive.  I think for a whole house system, it is about $500 plus the time it takes you to remove the old and install the new.  I hope this is helpful.  

The problems I have found with the big box products, it, that, they have a tendency to carry a "line" of products and then discontinue them. If I were to install a system such as a water softener/filter system I would stick with the readily available commercial systems with easily acquire replacement items. You may pay a little more (or maybe not if you shop around) then what you'll pay at the BB. However not having to go on a scavenger hunt somewhere down the line will be worth it.

I hesitantly mention this but, we've had a Sears/Kenmore for over 20 years with zilch problems. Our water is very hard and full of iron. It takes care of both quite well. Who knows who manufactured this unit, though. When it dies and, it will, we'll have to rely on our local plumbing concern for a recommendation. Since they don't sell conditioners, they're likely to be unbiased.

Speaking of Lowes, I was in there to buy some Whirlpool RO filters yesterday and the sales guy told me that AO Smith bought Whirlpool and all the stock numbers will change. Luckily, he had two sets of the Whirlpool branded ones. He doesn't have any, now. At least, AO Smith isn't an off shore company...yet.

We have one that is about 15 years old.  It was from some fly by night company in Tampa and they serviced each year for about 3 years.  Then they quit.  I suppose they went out of business.  It seems to be working.  It has a timer in which it back flushes for about 2 hours once per month.  And, the water still tastes good.  Folks who come to the house like our water.  We got this one to remove the flouride from the water.  I get enough of it in my toothpaste.  LOL  I need to start looking again so I will be ready when this one breaks.  

20 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Bill, not completely true for I have had mine from Lowes since 2000 and we got filters from them about six months ago and they were in stock....

Just relating my experiences with BB "systems". Lowes is not as bad as Home Depot for this mindset, however, you never know if/when they will decide that the product isn't profitable anymore. Those filters may be a good seller and may always be available, or they may decide to up and discontinue them next week. Then what are you going to do?

If you'll re-read my statement I was only pointing out the possibility of the "system" disappearing. I suggested that the purchaser consider this when it comes to acquiring replacement components.