Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Life Aboard US Navy Ballistic Missile Submarine USS Wyoming

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

John Morris -
Stick486 -

Top Posters

I spent 16 years working at the Portsmouth Navy Yard as a pipe welder. During that time we built 4 attack type nuclear submarines and 1 missile sub, the "Abraham Lincoln". Also did a complete overhaul of the Nautilus after her trip under the polar ice. These men and women live in very confined spaces. When out on a mission they stay submerged for 3 months at a time. The one benefit is, they really eat well on board. The USS Albacore, a conventional sub was stationed at Portsmouth. This ship, an experimental ship, was built and cut apart and rebuilt several times. It was a ship that was designed with a hull that eventually became the basic design for the nuclear subs. The Albacore was a much smaller ship. After it was decomissioned it was hauled to a park as a display in Portsmouth NH.

Edited by It Was Al B

On 10/13/2018 at 2:24 PM, It Was Al B said:

I spent 16 years working at the Portsmouth Navy Yard as a pipe welder. During that time we built 4 attack type nuclear submarines and 1 missile sub, the "Abraham Lincoln". Also did a complete overhaul of the Nautilus after her trip under the polar ice. These men and women live in very confined spaces. When out on a mission they stay submerged for 3 months at a time. The one benefit is, they really eat well on board. The USS Albacore, a conventional sub was stationed at Portsmouth. This ship, an experimental ship, was built and cut apart and rebuilt several times. It was a ship that was designed with a hull that eventually became the basic design for the nuclear subs. The Albacore was a much smaller ship. After it was decomissioned it was hauled to a park as a display in Portsmouth NH.

I have seen the Albacore, but not yet gotten out of the car to get up close to it. In 1978 I was going to join the Navy, and go into the submarine service ( the recruiter told me my height of 5 foot 7 made me a prime candidate, and my ASVAB scores were rather good ). Then I learned how the Navy taught non swimmers how to swim. I joined the Air Force. I didn’t think they would take me up in an aircraft, open the black door, throw me out, and say. “FLY!”   Cool video John.