For the first time since owning a house

Smallpatch

This is the forth house we have lived in since 1960 and the other three we re-roofed them ourselves...Plus wife re- shingled two by her self... I just thought at my speed anymore I might not get it done in between rains. Sad thought for sure but I already think I would be doing things differently and they have only been here a couple of hours.IMG_1060.thumb.JPG.19d2a58c5120561491bfa10775d1acae.JPG

There are 22 of these roof vents and I requested most to be removed and covered over. I'm kinda afraid to go up there and see how they are covering the holes.

Fred I never thought of that but the way people cut corners to save time and make more money, it is a possibility...But why would they fake it for I never requested all those vents to start with when they built the house. Maybe the plans called for them and I never paid that much attention before hand.

Herb with the rest of the vents and things going through the shingles there are 28 places that could start leaking and the next time my insurance might not want to mess with me...But with that commode tank busting from the flush handle down to the seat part in 2010 and flooding half the house, they never failed to pay for everything...Strange crack cause from the crank hole up to the lid, no cracks at all. We were in Colo for three months and the first two months the water bills were for the minimum then the last month was a bill for 1280.00. I had turned the central heat-air off and did not turn the water off for we had a lady taking care of the Cockatiels. So it got hotter the heck inside and busted the commode tank...Oh and we have some round columns about 12 or 14" in diameter going in to the dinning room made of fiberglass and they cracked and split also from the heat.

I was thinking more of the attic ventilation. Those additionsal roo f penetrations you speak of don't vent air. I presume the roofer is replacing them with a ridge vent,do you have gable end vents too? The more air you can vent out of the attic the cooler the attic will be in the summer.ridge vents in my estimation do not give the ventilation that roof jacks do. Usually local codes specify the amount of roof ventilation. I have never had a roof jack vent leak.

Just saying,

Herb

Well they did it in a day and I haven't gotten up there to see what they left and what they took out. 

Five guys took less than a day to rip everything off and start from scratch. I would have still been removing shingles for at least another week.

I ask whats the deal with almost all homes are now roofed with dark or black shingles. He said they think it is more beautiful. And I said do you know how many degrees difference there is between a white roof and a dark roof inside the house????. He said it only makes 5 degrees difference!!! I said should I say anymore why I want white shingles???? Besides I don't think I have ever stood around and admired any roof after I finished redoing one...!

When I moved to this area in CO, the first thing I noticed was all the roof vents. I've seen 8 or more on a small home.. I asked why. In 1987 this area was an open prairie with antelope. Now 97,000 live here and things in other areas near are still bursting with growth. Every home here is built to "code"  I think that every drain has a vent because of the code. Now if you have a water heater replaced, you must also have a device installed to prevent water hammer. All window, siding, door and roof work must be inspected and approved. HOAs patrol and enforce rules. Only certain colors are allowed for house paint and roofing.

It does keep home values up and things very neat and organized.

While the expansion tank for a water heater will lessen water hammer it's main purpose is to prevent a large rise in water pressure when cold water is heated on a closed system.   It use to be pressure in excess of main pressure was force back into the main,  now most new water meters are designed to prevent any backflow into the main which prevent contamination of the water.   So now any excess pressure will be relieved from the T&P device on the water heater before something else fails.   Roly