Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Mighty fine flat work there Patch. Never know it was not there from the start.

5 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

She has not asked for anything since then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've learned the secret there is to stay out of sight as much as possible.:P

Dave when we were going over the colors and types of wood, there was oak and oak and oak to pick from . I told him since I'm not fond of old oak furniture just leave it natural with no color added that way I will be able to match it later on. Just clear lacquer... well everything has poly something or other..  Plus there are lots of things different than the show home we were looking at but since this is the first and last new anything my wife ever had she said don't argue with them....not another word.  I said my lips are sealed and I'm gonna take my toys and go home....

That's something we need here!

I see your "grandfather" clock there. Did you build it? I made 2 of them from kits many years ago for my parents. One on them has stopped chiming correctly. Ever do any work on the mechanisms?

Lew thats the one brother in law gave me for they couldn't make it run... I piled a bunch of paper towels down in the bottom and started shooting WD-40 all over the wheels and springs and places where jewels would be if it was a good watch and in a few minutes it kept running. This was four or five or more years ago and hasn't stopped yet...

The one wife gave me the first Christmas we were married from Albert Consantine Clocks in a kit form just a few months ago I went to wind it and one of the weights was swinging and when I pulled the chain the weight hung on the bottom of the pendulum and jerked the regulator spring in to. I did order another regulator spring from a place in Arizona.. Trouble is it bent the part that goes back and forth that the spring hooks on to and the pendulum hooks on to it and have not gotten those pieces lined up yet. The clock will be 56 years old this Christmas and if I can ever remember to mess with it again I might can get things lined back up. 

The worse thing a person can do to a clock like these is let it sit without running for dust and spider webs gets in around the gears and places and will keep some of those parts from moving.  

28 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

The worse thing a person can do to a clock like these is let it sit without running

I agree. Ours has always kept running and it keeps pretty good time. A few months ago it started chiming at the wrong time. I thought it might be dirty so I oiled it but it didn't really help much. Then I WD-40ed the gear "bearings" and re-oiled it. It still only chimes about half the time. I need to pay closer attention to when it chimes and doesn't chime to see if I can determine if it is consistent or random. 

Lew Our clock is 23 years old and is doing the too few chimes on some of the 4 ,5 or 6.

Jesse if you had not said something about the hinge I would not have noticed. That is a great match.

4 hours ago, lew said:

I agree. Ours has always kept running and it keeps pretty good time. A few months ago it started chiming at the wrong time. I thought it might be dirty so I oiled it but it didn't really help much. Then I WD-40ed the gear "bearings" and re-oiled it. It still only chimes about half the time. I need to pay closer attention to when it chimes and doesn't chime to see if I can determine if it is consistent or random. 

You figure it out let me know...I'm a grandfather and often have symptoms like you've described...from what I'm told, I usually chime in at the wrong time no matter what time it is...kinda like now. 

Dave at least your chimer is still active.

About the only reason  a clock will chime wrong is if it had stopped and someone when turning the minute hand does not stop for a few seconds to give the clock time to start the cycle then as the first  notes starts its okay to go on around with the minute hand.. If one sounds on the quarter , the half and the three quarter hour, I just go slower in those places but when approaching the hour, stop to let the cycle start then continue. 

Also don't go backwards with the hands.

The clock I built has some large dents in a few places for when wife was cleaning it knocked it over but this was about 40 years ago and it didn't stop then.. 

I'll pass on a goodie. Before one starts to do the WD 40 thingy, first use a long long tooth pick 12 to 24" in length and twist and turn it as you wind through the wheels and things so if there are spider webs you will wind them on the stick...WD 40 don't do webs...Their maker refused to add that to its claims .  I think they did have the claim in there when it first hit the market as a very good hair oil, expecially on windy days... And they did have a contract with the weather channel but it may have expired  by now...But you can verify it by looking closely at the reporters doing Florence.  If so then the girls will be slicked over from head to toe.... for in a rain the 40 didn't stay just on their hair, it went all the way down.