the Good Stuff Is Expensive

I've had nothing but problems with my small engine stuff the last few years and I blame a lot of it on the gasoline now being as the ethanol blends have taken over. This seems especially true of the 2 cycle engines, the string trimmer, chain saws, etc. So I've searched for a non-alcoholic gas and for a while the nearest available was further than I wanted to drive. Recently, a small gas/general store chain from IL has moved into the area (Casey's General Store) and they have a spot on their pumps dedicated to alcohol free gas. It's the high octane stuff, and they are really proud of it; $3.54/gal versus $2.78 for the crappy stuff. But I'll have to say, it seems to have made a difference with my lawn gear. So far it's seems to have made a difference, especially with the string trimmer. So I'm choking when I buy it, but smiling when I'm running the tools.

Fred, an alternative that "may" be worth considering -

My leaf blower gave it up earlier this spring.  As I started the shopping around for a replacement I looked into the new battery operated models.  I reasoned that my first b.o. screwdrivers were pretty pathetic, and they did keep me from actually buying a good b.o. drill for a long time...

I bought an 18 volt Milwaukee blower/trimmer combo kit.  The trimmer is great, and I do not see much difference between the b.o. and the gas model for my chores.

The leaf blower is definitely not as powerful as the gas model it replaced.  It works great in the shop to do final "cleanup" with no lingering exhaust smell - and whole bunches quieter to boot!  If the grass clippings are fairly dry it does a reasonable job on the driveway that I have decided is acceptable.  It gives me a good reason to take a break after mowing for 20-30 minutes to allow the clippings to dry down.

Another bonus to the b.o. models; while I haven't been there - done that yet, I am pretty sure that next spring they will both crank right up with the first pull of the trigger:)

Another resource many of us forget about is our Shop Vacs. They make great leaf blowers too, and general shop clean up too, open the garage door, and blow it all out, make sure light items and papers are put away first though!

I still forget about the ability the shop vac has for blowing, I have to make an effort to remember after I cut the grass. I like to use the blower mode on our back yard area patio and concrete areas, I'll sweep the front yard though, I don't believe in just blowing things around to shift the debris from my home to my neighbors home, or out in the street, that drives me crazy when I see gardeners do that. Gardeners don't sweep anymore, they just blow it all off to another location.

I have chain saws, trimers. leaf blowers, etc, and all are gas. The gas gets old and I pull and pull and if I'm lucky they may start. I'm to old and worn out for this. I bought some of that gas additive that refreshes the gas. I use it in my gas can according to instructions. I'll put a little dab (teaspoon) in the tank on my tool and make sure its mixed up good, then I'll pull the starter rope with choke on a few times and let the tool sit for a few minutes to let the gas additive soak in, and hopefully start.  I agree battery operated are a lot more user friendlier. when the gas ones quit I'm going BO.  The gas additive is called renew or refresh. It will keep the gas cans in good condition for up to a year and If needed recondition the same gas again.

Preston

My biggest fear with the BO stuff is how long the batteries will last. To me, the best part of the Rigid tool kit deal, that HD had last winter, was the lifetime warranty on the batteries. For heavy duty applications I think gas is still best, but BO is mostly up to the task now. I thnk I still have a couple of BO tools that the battery died on, and it was cheaper to buy a new tool with battery and charger, than to replace the battery. 

I have a Bosch 28V dual stroke reciprocating saw that lets me cut small branches and even small trees that can't be reached with my corded chain saw. Forget the gas operated chain saw, it takes too much work trying to start it. My Ryobi weed wacker with a heavy duty battery will do all the trimming along both sides of 250 ft of fencing and allow me to trim around other needed areas before needing a charge. I did invest in a second heavy duty battery when it was on sale for $49.00. Using the heavy duty batteries with my Ryobi drills seem like they will run forever on one charge. Now the rototiller, that does run on gas. Used it today.