Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Smallpatch

I'm At a Loss for Thoughts but Never for Words

Rate this topic

For the mask, are you thinking of something with some depth?  Maybe you could have the two sides, light and dark, slightly raised in the middle with a miter joint running vertically to join them?  It's too bad the kids probably aren't classic SciFi fans.  Remember the Cylons on Battlestar Galactia?  They had that red light going back and forth across their helmets, faces or whatever they were.  That would be cool here, but totally inappropriate for an official school plaque.  Just rambling here.

Maybe make two patterns. Adhere one to the base piece, then double stick tape an appropriate thickness piece on top. Stick on the second pattern. Then, cut both and, discard the parts not needed for the raised portion. You'd still have a pattern to guide the placement of the raised part. You did say off the wall....;)

search "5 ways to print on wood" on YouTube.  10" high graphics probably mean you'll exceed 8x11 paper.  A school should have word processors and printers* that can do reverse image on 11x17.  Laser printers give good toner.

*or take the image to a print shop and for a fairly small fee they'll convert it

4 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

So what would you do with the mask-shield to make look good and got to be unusual for all the kiddies and moms and pops to gander at... I need some off the wall or down right fancy thoughts for this thing, mask??

Patch, you always excel at Intarsia type work...something like you created here, but obviously with the mask-shield...basically you got my best shot at a thought for today.

Pete I have all the tools I need, printers, enlargers, reducers for this is mostly what woodworking I am doing right now.......Its just I need ideas. I think the folks who sent the logo's skipped out on vacations or something. And their suggestions before they disappeared were kind of lacking for my little brain or something.

Come on Dave I need more than that... I was thinking I might shape a mask out four or five inches of depth but not having anything that thick if I glue something up I think the pieces stacked on top of each other would show the different colors and different grains and would spoil the effort...what ever that means???

Patch, maybe you could cut the black area of the mask, that's just five pieces and glue it to a solid background. Then maybe you could do that voodoo that you do so well and carve the openings in the mask that would match the left side. You have some areas that are pretty thin and I think if you went with thicker wood you might not get the look you want.

In the second pic I would cut a solid background and then a ring from the purple area out, then cut the lettering into a second smaller ring, maybe light and dark woods. laminate those three pieces. The letter "H" you could cut as it stands and glue it to the outer ring. Where it floats in the middle maybe some small dowel rods to give you some depth.