Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

So i get an email from Woodworker's Journal, has a link to Furniture Medic that offers you the opportunity to start your own franchise with them.

you, according to them, can "Create a Scalable Business with Multiple Revenue Streams"

and they offer to "Get Started Fast - The ServiceMaster Acceptance Company provides up to 80% financing of initial franchise fee and equipment package for qualified applicants*."

so now you can have all manner of strangers calling you up, to fix whatever they have that someone else made that got broken, and they'll even let you go into debt to do this.

linky:  http://request.furnituremedic.com/franchisetoday/3&AdType=Email&PartnerProgram=Woodworkers Journal&Campaign=Woodworkers Journal Email&MarketingChannel=Conversion&MarketingPartner=SM-FEMarketing

i'm going to have to pass on this one.  i HAD a full time job, now i have a money losing hobby.  if i want a job, it'll be part time on my schedule, not on the schedule of clumsy furniture movers who don't care about your antique High Boy, or whatever you treasure.

i'm not chasing this, but i'm going to guess that you'll be in debt on day one tens of thousands of dollars, and that they'll take a nice cut of whatever comes across your work table.

pass.

I looked at Furniture Medic 16 years ago.   Decided to pass and go with Guardsman FurniturePro instead.  I had been to Mohawk's training, so I had some insight on the touchup business.   GFP included wood repairs and also leather (that I didn't really like) and upholstery cleaning and repair.

FM's training consisted of two weeks plus homework before the class.  One day was technical training, all the rest was marketing.  One of the suppliers told me that he constantly got calls from FMs about how to use the products. 

The people I talked to at "Discovery Day" seemed slimy to me.  I had to count my fingers after I shook hands with them.  They do not provide a protected territory, they'd have either 10 or an unlimited number in my town.   When I signed on with GFP, I got half the city, but was free to go outside that area as the nearest franchisee was 40 miles away.  They would also send me work and became one of my largest customers.  GFP is a division of Valspar (now acquired by Sherwin-Williams) so they manufacture both touch-up and commercial finishing products.

Later, I ran into a couple of FMs and they said they could not wait until their franchise agreement was over.

A year or so later, the management at GFP changed and they quit actively soliciting new franchisees.  I think I as in the next to last major class.

Just my experience.  YMMV

23 hours ago, DAB said:

So i get an email from Woodworker's Journal, has a link to Furniture Medic that offers you the opportunity to start your own franchise with them.

Hey DAB, I got one of those yesterday too; wish I'd known...maybe we could have gone in cahoots together.:P

Any ways, below was my response.

image.png.cdc2f11de68dc864da5569fee63f24f8.png

3 hours ago, DAB said:

they should make that button RED on keyboards. 

fingernail polish...