Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
PeteM

Layout Software: Good for Beginners +

Rate this topic

Most experienced woodworkers I know pooh-pooh the need for layout software (aka "cutlist" software).  Why?  Because they don't need it.  Many new woodworkers simply cannot envision the project or how to arrange the cutouts from stock.  There is a large segment of the population that lack that mental skill; some can develop it over time, others have to find substitutes.  My thought is that the current body of experienced woodworkers are largely those that have the knack, and those who lack it simply drop out of the practice.  It makes for a narrow, and maybe narrowing, field. 

If you have the opportunity to encourage a newcomer, consider suggesting they acquire that software (I use CutList, but there are others; I do NOT include CAD software such as Sketchup:  it's a different animal).  Perhaps after a few years they won't need it.  I once took an aptitude test that told me I'd be a poor engineer because I don't visualize easily.  True about the visualization, but as it turned out, not a limit if you work around it.  I've used the layout software for over a decade and still find it useful.  (IOW, I'm still lousy at visualization!)

I'm with ya. My visualization skills are less than adequate. But then, my realization skills are worse. :(

I always found cutlist to be extremely useful, at least with sheet goods. It's one thing I really missed when i switched to a Mac, they don't support the Mac platform.

I too have used Cutlist for several years. And their customer service is pretty good too.  They have helped me several times reload the program due to crashed hard drive, new computer, upgrade from W8.1 to W10, etc.