February 24, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_141508 I dont turn wood at all, but was impressed with Lew's rolling pins and wanted to use the last of my curly cherry in a cool way, so I made a cutting board, and cheese slicer. I haven't done any inlays in a few years, and this reminded me why. The glue up sucks! Plus in all the mayhem of the clamps and cauls, I messed up the order of the walnut and cherry strips....buuuuuuuut, it ended up al right. Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141515 WOW! Those are absolutely gorgeous! I really like the non-symmetrical wood layout. I think it really adds to the beauty of the pieces. Where did you get the runner feet? Report
February 24, 20188 yr Author comment_141517 Hey thanks Lew, I bought them from home depot. I think they are bumpers for doors/door knobs. You can buy ones for cutting boards from wood craft I think, but the HD ones were like $1/bumper, plus the stainless screws it comes with is better for water IMO. Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141522 Lew's glue up was more or less edge to edge where yours is an edge to end glue up an you might end up with a small problem??? Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141527 2 hours ago, Dane Franco said: buuuuuuuut, it ended up al right. Boy, I'll say Dane! I'd say you were quite inspired! Too beautiful for cheese. Report
February 24, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_141532 1 hour ago, Smallpatch said: yours is an edge to end glue up I have made edge to side glue ups and so far they have held. This one wasn't too thick. Her name is "Emma" Edited February 24, 20188 yr by lew Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141537 Man, that's a really nice cheese slicer, Dane. And, Lew. That's the fanciest peel I ever did see. Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141540 Nothing is wrong with yours, Lew. Its the end grain to long grain that might show later because of the expansion of the wood. Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141541 Personally, I can't see why you say the glue-up sucks, it's usually only the maker of the item, that see's any mistakes made. Myself I think it looks great, even if you didn't do any turning lol. Report
February 24, 20188 yr Author comment_141542 30 minutes ago, Smallpatch said: Nothing is wrong with yours, Lew. Its the end grain to long grain that might show later because of the expansion of the wood. Yeah time will tell for sure. I haven’t had any separation from other pieces with inlays that are about 8 years old, but of course all wood is different, just hope for the best as always. Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141544 36 minutes ago, Smallpatch said: show later because of the expansion of the wood. I think with the thinner boards- less that an inch thick- the movement will be quite small. Plus, there is lots of surface area for bonding. Report
February 24, 20188 yr comment_141560 I never said the glue up sucks. I said he could have problems because gluing end grain against long grain can give problems because of the swelling of woods in different seasons. Thats why when you see a farm type table with planks glued up side by side then they add a board crossways on each end there is always a channel between the two different directions of wood so when one wood shifts more than than the other, it won't be noticeable...I didn't invent something that don't happen. Wood is wood. Report
February 24, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_141562 5 minutes ago, Smallpatch said: I never said the glue up sucks. I said he could have problems because gluing end grain against long grain can give problems because of the swelling of woods in different seasons. Thats why when you see a farm type table with planks glued up side by side then they add a board crossways on each end there is always a channel between the two different directions of wood so when one wood shifts more than than the other, it won't be noticeable...I didn't invent something that don't happen. Wood is wood. Aahh, I see where you were headed now. I thought you were referring having some pieces with the flat grain up and others with the edge grain up. I have seen lots of cutting/serving boards with the inlay like Dane made. Apparently they are pretty stable. Report
February 25, 20188 yr Author comment_141594 8 hours ago, Charles Nicholls said: Personally, I can't see why you say the glue-up sucks, it's usually only the maker of the item, that see's any mistakes made. Myself I think it looks great, even if you didn't do any turning lol. Sorry, I meant the process sucks. I’m cool with how it turned out-and totally agree with you. Most mistakes are only noticed by the maker. That’s woodworking yo Report
February 25, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_141598 While not as ever strong as edge grain to edge grain glue joints, end grain to edge grain joint strength will be substantially enhanced by sizing the end grain prior to glue up. Just a dab of glue, rubbed in to the end grain and, allowed to dry...a minute is plenty of time...will do the trick. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.