I am a veteran (Army infantry, '68-'70), and I love my country and respect the anthem, the flag, and the bald eagle. However, I do not worship them. I see weather-worn flags hanging down or wrapped around on poles everywhere. Some folks use the flag in clothes, drapes, table clothes and art work as a display honoring our country and people. The flag in the combat picture is covering a dead brother while touching the body bag and the tarp beneath it. The death is a tragic loss. The flag touching anything does not diminish its meaning. White is proud to be an American and to have won a gold medal for America, and is overcome with the emotion of the win as are the bothers of their loss. We should be proud, also.

hat 

Edited by hatuffej

This goes more into the depth of how our American culture has focused more on self, a narcissist culture is permeating our nation, where as the title of my topic is All About Me, is more where my personal feelings on this lay. This topic is symbolic more about the direction our American culture is heading, it's All About Me. I am an Army Veteran, but this has nothing to do with my service, yet more about the direction our nation is heading. 

I can separate Shaun's deeds from his moral misstep, he does a wonderful job, till the very end.

4 hours ago, John Morris said:

This goes more into the depth of how our American culture has focused more on self, a narcissist culture is permeating our nation, where as the title of my topic is All About Me, is more where my personal feelings on this lay. This topic is symbolic more about the direction our American culture is heading, it's All About Me. I am an Army Veteran, but this has nothing to do with my service, yet more about the direction our nation is heading. 

I can separate Shaun's deeds from his moral misstep, he does a wonderful job, till the very end.

We are on the same page, John.

Herb

35 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Another reason for a two year service requirement for all able bodied young'uns.

I have got a 19yr.old grandson that doesn't know how to peel a banana or to cut a piece off a beef steak. He will go into his last year of college next year , if you give him a banana he will take it to his mother to peel for him and he stabs a steak with his fork and holds it up to take a bite out of it,til his mother cuts it up for him. But he can run circles around you on a computer or other digital device.

Herb

On 2/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Gene Howe said:

Let's bring back Civics classes.

"Civics is the study of the theoretical, political and practical aspects of citizenship, as well as its rights and duties; the duties of citizens to each other as members of a political body and to the government."

I totally, agree!

I didn't see the "act", but I will say this; I suspect that he was caught up in the moment and the disrespect was not intentional, and as a kid I was well aware of "proper" flag etiquette and would do my best not to let what he did happen. However, the things being taught (or in most cases not taught) to the newer generations highlights how the national pride of the ME GENERATION has eroded.

17 hours ago, Dadio said:

I have got a 19yr.old grandson that doesn't know how to peel a banana or to cut a piece off a beef steak. He will go into his last year of college next year , if you give him a banana he will take it to his mother to peel for him and he stabs a steak with his fork and holds it up to take a bite out of it,til his mother cuts it up for him. But he can run circles around you on a computer or other digital device.

Herb

So, IF and when he is out in the cold cruel world he can code himself a meal, so he won't starve to death! RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko: