October 9, 20178 yr comment_127515 I hope to hang my furnace this week or next. This is forced air gas (Modine type) and when I run the B vent flue through the attic will I need to establish a barrier around it so the loose fill insulation doesn't touch it? The B vent will be 5", I though I'd just put a piece of snap lock around it (anchored in some fashion) to hold the loose fill back, unless I don't have too. Not sure which loose fill I'll use, but I'm leaning toward fiberglass. Report
October 9, 20178 yr comment_127518 I think they require 1" space around it. The issue with the insulation is corrosion on the pipe from condensation that cannot dry off. While fiberglass won't burn other types may. Roly Report
October 9, 20178 yr comment_127519 Fred, that vent flue should be triple walled in the attic. In which case, it will be cool to the touch and, under normal circumstances, won't sweat. Report
October 9, 20178 yr comment_127520 6 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: Fred, that vent flue should be triple walled in the attic. In which case, it will be cool to the touch and, under normal circumstances, won't sweat. but it will still need a shield to keep the insulation away from it... normal atmospheric conditions will cause condensation... Report
October 9, 20178 yr comment_127523 5 minutes ago, Stick486 said: but it will still need a shield to keep the insulation away from it... normal atmospheric conditions will cause condensation... Never had a condensation problem but, it's AZ. Report
October 9, 20178 yr comment_127533 1 hour ago, Gene Howe said: Never had a condensation problem but, it's AZ. that happens any place that has high(er) humidity... Report
October 9, 20178 yr Author comment_127539 Thanks, guys. I'll plan on putting some clearance around the flue. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.