January 13, 20179 yr Popular Post comment_92626 I just finished this purple heart bird cage tree ornament. I didn't get it like I wanted it. I had lots of problems with the hardware. Getting straight pins was difficult and the gluing was a task. The cooler temperatures in my shop and I have been having allergies that cause my eyes to itch and blur. Combine all that with my large hands in tiny places, well lets just say I'm glad it is done. Report
January 13, 20179 yr comment_92627 Looks good to me ,Ron, you are your own worst ctitic,like me and mine. I like the way the purple heart finishes, and your turning is as good as always. Herb Report
January 13, 20179 yr comment_92631 I agree with Herb- it looks great to me! Edited January 13, 20179 yr by Chips N Dust Report
January 14, 20179 yr comment_92647 2 hours ago, Chips N Dust said: I agree with Herb me too... Report
January 14, 20179 yr Popular Post comment_92656 Well it's unanimous then...I agree with everyone above (well except for Ron )... Purple heart is very nice... I"ll send you my address Ron if you really can't take looking at it... Report
January 14, 20179 yr comment_92665 Looks good to me also!! I've never worked with purple heart but always liked the way it looks Great Job!! Report
January 14, 20179 yr Author comment_92669 The Purple Hart I have used varies in color and density, I suppose from the location in the tree. The main reason I use it as much as I do...............my wife loves the color. Nuff said Report
January 14, 20179 yr comment_92683 6 hours ago, Ron Altier said: my wife loves the color. Nuff said I can see why, great looking pieces. Report
January 14, 20179 yr comment_92739 +1 for the positive remarks! I always find these deceiving. They look large in the photos but I know they are really small. Report
January 14, 20179 yr comment_92747 15 hours ago, Ron Altier said: The Purple Hart I have used varies in color and density, I suppose from the location in the tree. The main reason I use it as much as I do...............my wife loves the color. Nuff said Purple heart is strange wood, it looks very purple when freshly cut, but as it ages it gets darker. Some I have had for several years is almost black. I had a piece one time that wasn't very purple and I set it outside (summertime) in the sun for a couple of days and it turned very purple.. Some I have now has some tan blotchy spots in it. I like to work with it,and do like the color. It polishes up to a mirror finish too. I like your other ornaments too, a lot,Ron. Herb Edited January 14, 20179 yr by Dadio Report
January 15, 20179 yr comment_92798 Those pins are what....maybe 2" long? Thin wire and hard to keep straight...actually more designed to be bent to shape. It's a nice challenge and you're done well with it... now to try that with thin anodized wire.... Report
January 15, 20179 yr Author comment_92813 The pins are used to make jewelry/ear rings, I don't know how they are used. There are about 25 in a packet and are 2" long. Most are not straight and it is a task trying to straighten. I kept working with that problem until I could do a decent job. It was hanging along side others about 7 feet above the floor. Last night as I was on my computer when it fell, bounced off the fire place and about 4 feet to the floor. I had no idea what made the noise. Then I saw it on the floor. I was amazed that there was no apparent damage. Even the bird and perch was still in place. The top hook had come out and I made a different set up for the replacement. I was LUCKY Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.