October 5, 201610 yr Popular Post comment_77466 When you join a forum, folks are often curious as to what projects you have done so they can evaluate your skill level. Well, I find myself to be a bit more than a beginner. I only post to show what I have done and excited that I can do it. Al has mentioned about bandsaw boxes and I'll show a couple that are not exactly as Lois Ventura designed, but close enough for me. Now, I'll see how to load pictures and make brief comments. The first one is a baby rattler, but it is deadly if the child should hit himself in the head. The other two are bandsaw boxes. The last one is my only thought of how to use these spindles. So, this is my learning and practicing turning magic wands. Hope this will give you hope to try what you haven't. These are not elegant or difficult as some projects I have seen here. Thanks for stopping by. Steve, the old FLGator Report
October 5, 201610 yr comment_77469 Really cool projects! Super nice turnings. Those beads and coves look perfectly executed! Report
October 5, 201610 yr comment_77472 Real nice work. I have yet to do a band saw box but it is on the list. Yours are nice designs. Report
October 5, 201610 yr comment_77475 Great projects. They look like fun builds. That sure is an odd looking lathe.... And, I know the frustration you probably had in cutting that bandsaw box, too. I upgraded mine with the Carter guides and, it sure makes a difference. Report
October 5, 201610 yr comment_77479 Always enjoyed seeing your BS boxes and the tutorials you put together during the build. Nice to see the "magic wands" you've been telling me about...better start waving all of them around to keep Matthew on your side of the state. Take care down there in the next few days...big concern for your side is spawning of tornadoes...we've both had a little too close for comfort the last couple of years. Thanks for sharing 'Gator.' Report
October 5, 201610 yr comment_77491 Another shopsmith user! Proof positive a person can make nice with one. Nice looking wands for sure! Steve Report
October 6, 201610 yr comment_77531 Great set of projects. Love to look at BS boxes just never felt the urge. Report
October 6, 201610 yr comment_77550 I like the way you think and I like your work. Glad to see you here. Report
October 14, 20169 yr Author comment_78825 Thank you for your kind words of support. Lew, I am just learning how to use the skew. Also, learning how to hone with a HF 4 sided honing block from 200 to 600 grit. When I use the 600 grit, it gives a very fine edge. I can get a couple of magic wands on simply honing the edge. In some ways, I prefer the skew to the spindle gouges. I first learned to make coves and beads with a spindle gouge. I have two sizes, 1/2 " and a smaller one. I tried true a cherry bowl with a spindle gouge. The bowl blew apart. Thankfully, the projectiles went perpendicular to where I was standing. Not my smartest moment and am now saving for a bowl gouge. Hope to learn how to use the bowl gouge on the inside of the bowls. I truly appreciate all your support. Presently working on restoring a shadow box that I think may have been made in Korea or Japan during one of the wars. The history is unknown, but the glue was coming apart. Will make pics tomorrow and post in a separate thread. Steve, the old FlGatorwood Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.