Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Ron Altier

Band saw lube

Rate this topic

I was watching a woodworking show on PBS and the guy was cutting Large dry pieces of a stump on his large bandsaw. He said to always use spray lube on the blade and to turn the wheel by hand until you see that all the blade is coated. Then wait 3 minutes before using. He did not ID the make of the lube. He also said it does a terrific job. I have heard of using Pam cooking spray, but this was designed for saw blades.

Any ideas on the manufacturer?

On the topic of applying anything to your cutting tools

Whatever you put on the tool ends up on the work - no exceptions no alternatives - period. 

That's leaves the questions:

How much of it is in any one place (or how spread out is it)?

How problematic might it be?

Will later processing remove it anyway?

If  the user of the lube is  comfy with the answers to those questions  well - - - then - - I guess he is.

Me? I don't even wax plane irons.

I'd question the need for a BS blade lube when cutting anything but Metals.  Maybe the Stump cutter is convinced that all that lube will somehow get him around all the great heaping loads of sand, rocks, glass bottle shards, and other foreign stuff that one finds in stumps.  I've found marbles in stumps.

I wouldn't put a stump on my Machinery.  I've  broken up quite a few  stumps because while removing them because of Proximity to structures and they were always full of  rocks and sand and all manner of stuff that would wreck a steel tool. 

I can see the interest in stumps.  Lots of wild grain making for interesting patterns. I'll pass. To much work dealing with all the foreign material. 

I'm with Cliff. The closest I come to lubing anything is waxing my table saw and planer tops.  Finishing is a big enough pain without adding anything to it especially an oily film.    

Edited by Ron Dudelston

Thanks, I was wondering what the repercussions of using such a product would be. I do have and do use blade wax on occasion when I do resawing.

and I wax all saw tables. Another problem area would be overspray of any lube. I would think that could cause problems in wheels and rubber belts on them

Edited by Ron Altier
spellling