The shop for the troops in Djibouti, Africa

Hi, new to the forum. Thought it would be fun to share some pictures of a woodshop available to the troops here in Djibouti, Africa. They call it the Self Help Shop, and it's really intended for the CB's but they are kind enough to open it up for the rest of us.

20151108_151001.thumb.jpg.25f879f0bae832

Panorama of one main work space, pretty standard bench tools; scroll saw, sander, drill press, chop saw. They also have a Makita planer in there which is hard to tell, but it's on a plywood bench right in front.

20151108_151103.thumb.jpg.9b3a1f3525f718

They did a nice job integrating the chop saw into this bench.

20151108_151012.thumb.jpg.9e08df1fe738f8

They had a guy hurt himself on the table saw a while back so they justified the SawStop. It's the first time I've used one. As I get my own home shop tailored out I'd love to be able to get one of these, especially with my ambitions of teaching.

More details about my deployment and my business venture, Charitable Woodworking, can be found at www.charitablewoodworking.org.

Cheers! -Matt

Hi, new to the forum. Thought it would be fun to share some pictures of a woodshop available to the troops here in Djibouti, Africa. They call it the Self Help Shop, and it's really intended for the CB's but they are kind enough to open it up for the rest of us.

20151108_151001.thumb.jpg.25f879f0bae832

Panorama of one main work space, pretty standard bench tools; scroll saw, sander, drill press, chop saw. They also have a Makita planer in there which is hard to tell, but it's on a plywood bench right in front.

20151108_151103.thumb.jpg.9b3a1f3525f718

They did a nice job integrating the chop saw into this bench.

20151108_151012.thumb.jpg.9e08df1fe738f8

They had a guy hurt himself on the table saw a while back so they justified the SawStop. It's the first time I've used one. As I get my own home shop tailored out I'd love to be able to get one of these, especially with my ambitions of teaching.

More details about my deployment and my business venture, Charitable Woodworking, can be found at www.charitablewoodworking.org.

Cheers! -Matt

Really nice shop with a good amount of space.  Reading your tool list, it appears that you don't have a lathe available to you.  Is that correct

That's correct, Ernie. No lathe in the shop. What's not shown are lots of framing tools to include circular saws and sawzalls and such. The recent manager, who is leaving soon, just started branching into the finer woodworking tools. Hopefully the new guy will pick it up and keep it rolling in that direction. More to follow, thanks for the interest!

-Matt

• 8 months later...