Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Patriot Woodworker

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners May 7, 2015

Featured Replies

OK, I know it is Thursday. Time got away from me yesterday. After designing the humidor, I realized I failed to take into account the drawer box and the size of stiles needed to allow the glass window and affixing the drawer box. Fortunately, I spent last weekend with a bunch of Navy buddies so my "Navy Vocabulary" had been refreshed for just such an occasion.

 

The humidor project has been all consuming, with little time for any turning. 

 

The Woodturning OnLine Newsletter came last week. It has a couple of interesting articles. The entire newsletter can be found here- http://www.woodturningonline.com/index.php

 

The project I liked most was turning a Pill Bottle-

 

post-3380-0-07016000-1431004918.png

 

There is also a link to an article aimed at beginning turners. It includes safety, tools and other information often asked by beginning woodturners-

 

http://www.organiclesson.com/wood-lathe-diy-wood-projects/

 

I did find a video demonstrating the turning of a small box. It is a neat way to use up all those scraps you have laying around. 

 

 

Seems the trend today is to "speed up" the videos. I'd personally like to see important details in "regular" time and edit out the repetitive stuff. But that's just me.

 

Mimi and I spent this past weekend in Indiana, not far from Indianapolis. A bunch of us old Navy guys- from VA-65- got together. These guys were the ones that were there when VA-65 switched over to flying the A-6 Intruder in the early 60's. Some of them were also on the USS Forrestal  during the fire. Our squadron lost several guys that day. We try to see each other every year as our numbers are already starting to dwindle.

 

This year, we were invited to participate in "The Moving Wall" tribute being held in Lawrence, Indiana. It was a humbling experience. The replica of "The Wall" is very powerful. The number of names listed there is almost beyond comprehension.

 

post-3380-0-16548400-1431006420.jpg

 

post-3380-0-51202300-1431006419.jpg

 

The Huey in this pix is one that actually flew in Vietnam- still has the bullet holes!

 

post-3380-0-84714300-1431006418.jpg

 

The "orange hats" are some of the fellows in our squadron.

 

Safe Turning.

 

 

This is really cool Lew, I am on the road right now and saw this in my phone, when I get in tonight I have some more commentary, thanks so much for sharing!

Great post Lew. The Moving wall is awesome.

Lew, thanks for posting, great post sir. I am so glad you get to visit your buddies, that is a priceless experience. I bet the sound of that Huey brought back memories. Do any of the names on the wall hold any significance with you?

  • Author

 Do any of the names on the wall hold any significance with you?

I had a childhood friend killed there, also, men and officers from our squadron.

  • 3 weeks later...

We had the  moving wall at the Michigan State Fair a couple of years ago.  It is a truly movng experience.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.