The Patriot Woodworker's Shop Dogs

I know this is not a shop tour or anything like that, but I was going back in my time warp and a couple years ago I shot a quick video of our two dogs playing with each other, it's amazing how our bigger dog Jessie lets our little dog Woody just take over, the two love each other, and they play like this all the time, I thought it was pretty funny, they were actually going at it for a good 10 minutes before I shot the rest of their wrestling adventure. And the names? You ever seen Toy Story? Woody and Jessie? My kids named the dogs, what can I say.

• 1 month later...

I love videos of animals!  I've been thinking about getting another dog, I lost 3 last year that we had for years within a 4 month span.  Chiquita to old age, Cinnamon from an accident and I truly believe Rocky died from just being lonely.  He was healthy but all alone...  Maybe a French Bulldog this time, for some reason I like them.  Anyway, thanks for the video.

I love videos of animals!  I've been thinking about getting another dog, I lost 3 last year that we had for years within a 4 month span.  Chiquita to old age, Cinnamon from an accident and I truly believe Rocky died from just being lonely.  He was healthy but all alone...  Maybe a French Bulldog this time, for some reason I like them.  Anyway, thanks for the video.

I am completely sorry roadking for your losses, that is hard. We lost our Sofie, our family dog of 11 years, we lost her 2 years ago this Thanksgiving to leukemia. It was the day before Thanksgiving, I was at work, and my wife called me at home and told me she was passing at that moment, with our kids by her side. I was going to put her down but I thought she'd make it past Thanksgiving but she did not, it was not a good death, she suffered the last 10 minutes of her life, she basically died of suffocation, she just ran out of oxygen and it was a dark thing for our kids to witness, but it was nature at work, and there is a lesson in there for our children. And a lesson for dad, put the animal down when I know it's time. She is buried up in the mountains, we visit her once a year. The photo below is our Sofie on the left, we still have Woody on the right, my son at right of me. This was taken the summer before she died, she was already showing signs of exhaustion at this time, we just thought she was getting old and ran out of breath quickly, but in reality she was in early stages of Leukemia.

post-1-0-77286300-1417495434.jpg

The video is of our dogs Jessie and Woody, Jessie was a present for Woody, Woody loved Sofie, and he was incredibly depressed when Sofie left us, so a few months after Sofie passed, we got Jessie for Woody, we like rescue dogs and we got Jessie at the local shelter where we found Sofie. Now Woody found us as he was walking down the street and he latched on to us, been with us eversince!

I feel your pain roadking, hang in there, dogs are so special, they are more than dogs, and more than family, our dogs are historians in their own right, they are there for everything we have done, gone through, and celebrated, so when we lose a dog, we associate all those memories with them as well.

• 4 months later...

This is my Service Dog Ruby.  She is a Golden Retriever (sire: Evan)/Black Lab (dam: Lexie) cross.  She is my second Service Dog, a successor dog to Travis, my first Service Dog, a pure bred Golden Retriever (dam: Slander/sire: Sailor) who died - a victim of Hemangiosarcoma - a vicious canine cancer- on May 6, 2010.  Ruby has been my partner since March 31, 2011. Both dogs were bred and trained by Paws With A Cause, a Service Dog training organization with National Headquarters in Wayland, Michigan - a suburb of Grand Rapids, Michigan.   Ruby is with me 24/7/365 and even has her own employee id badge when we work at Detroit Tigers Baseball games at Comerica Park in Detroit.  She also goes with me when I sound TAPS for Military Funeral Honors for deceased Veterans as a member of Bugles Across America.

post-1800-0-25579100-1429551802.jpg

Thank you, kind sir.  I do love her to pieces.  She is sort of the "shop dog" but walks away when I turn on the shop vac that I use for dust collection.  Hurts her ears.  She won't wear ear plugs. paws them out almost instantly..  I tried ear plugs when we work concerts at Comerica Park - the home of the Detroit Tigers where we work at the gates.  I wear ear plugs for concerts and have been leaving her home for them.  Just too loud for her without hearing protection.

My Quigley won't even go into the basement shop. Loud noises have frightened him since he was a puppy.

Ruby is pretty good with noise overall. I have played in several bands.  A concert band of about 50 players and a British Style Brass Band with about 32 players and for that one we were right in front of the percussion section with the Tuba section to our immediate left, rest of the cornets to our right and in front of us and tenor horns in front of us to our left.  LOTS of sound and she is rock solid during that for several years.  We have been in a 300 piece massed band and she was okay with that as well. When we do Military Funeral Honors Missions the Rifle Party is right to our left and seven gunners fire three volleys for a total of 21 shots fired. She's okay with that too.  She just doesn't like the shop Vacuum and I don't like having her exposed to the extreme noise of concerts at the ball park.  She was selected for me based on my activities, including exposure to band music, organ music at Church, barbershop music (I sang in a barbershop quartet and was one of several directors for a small barbershop chorus), gunfire at Military Funerals, and of course, the noise, sights, smells and huge crowds that come with working at a Major League Ball Park.

She sure is a neat dog Ernie, thanks for sharing her with us. The service dogs are amazing as are the organizations that produce them. We have some folks here in our neighborhood who foster service dogs, they care for and train them and then return them back to the organization for distribution to humans who need them. They are incredible animals.

Sounds like she has a great disposition to handle your shop and loud noises.