Home Built Table Saw Guard/Dust Collector

Mike Dillen

I"ve had these plans from Shop Notes for a long time and have wanted to build it but just didn't have the time. Well I finaly got tired of having saw dust fly out of the front of the blade while ripping or cross cutting and winding up all over the shop so I made the time. It took me about 4 hours to cut out the pieces from hardwood, polycarbinate sheet and aluminium flat stock. After some initial testing it works pretty good and I couldn't be happier. It cost $32.50 for the hardware, polycarbinate, aluminium flat stock and conduit, the wood I salvaged last week from an old upright piano my friend was going to burn. The cheapest one I've found on the internet was around $180.00. The money I saved will go towards my Incra router table.I still need to paint and mount it on some 1 1/2" conduit and locate the correct size spring for the lift assist which will make it work smooth. I'll post some pics when it's completed. Thanks for viewing!

ning-photo4-48147-58.jpgning-photo3-48147-71.jpgning-photo2-48147-12.jpg

Thanks for your responsis. I will post pics when it's completed. Lew this won't get all the sawdust from your saw. It's but a small piece in a saw collection system but it will help in what I find to be the most irritating aspect of thru cutting on the table saw. What saw do you own? If you own a contractor saw which it sounds like you have there are many ways to work around the motor and belt that usually pose dust collection problems. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Archived