What kind of Tree is this

Wayne

My neighbors are going to be cutting down 2 trees in their back yard. The wood is mine for free, all I have to do it move it. First she said it was walnut then changed it to Chestnut (wormy). So I really need to get some opinions on what these are. There are two of them and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help

Wayne

download?id=5228218%3AUploadedFile%3A705

A picture of a twig and bud would also be helpful. Walnut has a characteristic "monkey face" leaf scar and pretty pronounced buds. It also has a chambered pith that is readily recognizable. Chestnut is a little harder to identify but a tree that size should be bearing fruit of either species. You can't mistake fruit of a walnut for a chestnut. The bark doesn't look right for either species. I wasn't trained to identify trees off of a picture on a computer but if I have to guess then I would say a hort variety of honey locust.

Dan

It's not a chestnut tree.

Take another pic of the leaves that's in focus.

For a walnut there would be walnuts left on ground from last year maybe.

Either way your gonna go through alot of work trying to get slabs out of that tree as there's not much straight wood and the tree is bent all over the place.

Looks more like a locust or a walnut tree.

Okay guys.

I will try to get better pictures., They were not home and I didn't want to infringe on a gracious offer. Once I get better pics I will post them.

Larry,

Just stop by anytime, there is alays a cold Ale waiting, actually this applies to mostly anyone. Grin.gif

Although once the top comes off the shop is closed, no exceptions.

Thanks and will work on better photos.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys.

Long week end but the wood is here. It is confirmed to be Chestnut (wormy) .  The only bad news is the the guys that cut these trees down, cut it for firewood.  The good news is that leaves a lot for pen blanks and small turnings. I did get some really nice pieces of the trunk that I could cut up into slabs before moving the wood and some of the branches the cut in long enough lengths to make some boards out of. These trees have been producing hestnuts for a while and I have had several conversations with the man that planted them. Once dried and milled a lot of wood will be availible just not in sizes I was hoping for but hey it was free so I will not even think about complaining one bit. There are some slabs here that will make some beautiful table tops or cases and better yet. Some projects for the Wounded Warrior Project. I will post some pics when I get them off my phone and into the computer. So ALL can enjoy some of what I got see first hand.
Thanks Guys

Wayne

Archived