WorkBench Jan Feb 1964

Continuing our WorkBench Magazine series with our old issues, we are posting the January-February Issues for your enjoyment. As usual, if you see any article or plans you like in the contents section of this magazine, please let me know here, and I will display it and upload a PDF for you to save to your hard drive.

I love these old magazine issues from the 60's. Some of these designs are timeless, remember, back in the 60's the Danish style was alive and well and roaring into homes in the form of chairs, davenports (did I just say davenport?) and other hard wood furnishings from end tables to dining sets. This style is has made a resurgence in the last few years, and is sought after in antique shops across the country.

Sam Maloof was a big fan of Danish style furnishings, you can see the Danish form in his rockers and his woodworking in general. I am going to post a really neat chair from this issue of WorkBench, I am putting this chair on my list of todo projects. But first I will put up the usual cover and content pages for you to view.

ning-cover-45193-50.jpg?width=750ning-contents-45193-93.jpg?width=750I hope you all enjoy, and remember, is you see anything you like, just holler.

John Morris

Here is one of my favorites in this issue of WorkBench. The Contemporary Club Chair. I am getting excited about delving into the possibility of adding another dimension to my woodworking, upholstery. Check out this cool chair, it brings images into my head of a club goer in the 60's sitting in this chair, having a nice smoke, cocktail in the other hand, hair slicked back with shirt and tie and enjoying some Jazz from Sam Jones, Miles Davis, or some Count Basie. Truly contemporary.

As is with most WorkBench plans in this time period, there is alot to be desired as far as detailed instructions, but they assume a skill level when they wrote these up. I have enough here to go on, I feel I can build this chair.

Below the images, you will see a PDF for your upload if you desire. I love the double settee version at the upper right.

John

ning-contemporaryclubchair-00032-45204-1ning-contemporaryclubchair-00033-45204-2ning-contemporaryclubchair-0003-45204-87

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You got it Mark, tomorrow soon enough? Thanks!

Mark Dorman said:

I'd like to see the Drop Leaf table when you get a chance.

Thank You

Mark

Good, Better, Best never let it rest
Till your Good is Better and your Better is Best.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

any time in the near future. no rush John

John Morris said:

Mark Dorman said:

Thank You

Mark

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

I have not forgot Mark! I got hung up today! I'll get er done! Hang in there.

Mark Dorman said:

any time in the near future. no rush John

John Morris said:

Mark Dorman said:

Thank You

Mark

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

your funny! Thanks for your understanding, I am off to work soon, tonight around 8:30pm Pac time, I'll have it posted for you, thanks for your patience. And don't hesitate in the future to ask for more as well, that is why I put these up, for you guys to enjoy! Thanks for being here Mark.

Mark Dorman said:

So you trying to tell me you have a life John? LOL

I was busy all day myself. Family picnic with 3 generations from 3 states it was a good day. 

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

Ok Mark, here ya go buddy! Sorry for the delay! As always Mark, the images are posted for all to see, but the PDF doc is below, click on the PDF to open and save to your desktop. Thanks for your patience Mark!

ning-dropleaftable-0001-45195-91.jpg?widning-dropleaftable-0002-45195-12.jpg?wid

Mark Dorman said:

Thank You

Mark

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

Archived