Suggest a Plan Please!

Jo R.

I need a sturdy table and I want to build it over the next 2 to 3 days max.

It must be washable because it will have messy, nasty things on it from time to time.  So, I'll be using bleach disinfectant and vinegar/soap cleaner on it regularly.

It must be able to hold a good bit of weight.  Say, as much as 200 to 300 lbs?  I'd REALLY like to put a couple of hooks on one narrow end and hang bags of potatoes and onions from them. 

It needs to be 20" deep x 56" long & 31.5" high, with a good sturdy shelf at about 15" high.  I might store things like 50 lb. sacks of flour on that shelf.  That will probably be the heaviest thing on it.

Got some thoughts for me?  Mike will help me with the sawing part... 

Jo

With these specification, it sounds more like you could be looking at a workbench design more than a table. As far as the top is concerned, maybe a laminate (Formica or similar) top layer. If color/texture are not a concern, you may be able to pick up a damaged/closeout piece of laminate for a discounted price.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

Time traveler. Purveyor of the world's finest custom rolling pins!

I would suggest mdf and plastic laminate for the top since you plan to clean with bleech and you have a time constraint.

I would build an apron thats 3/4" X 4" that attaches under the top and is shorter than the length and width of the top with cross braces

Attach 4"X 4" legs attached in the corners of the apron and has stretchers close to the bottom of the legs that spans the back & sides.

This method is easy and very strong with minimal investment

• 3 weeks later...

Archived