Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners

lew

Mike,

Ouch! that hurts,

My 1941 Delta is in the corner whimpering, I saved it from the scrap man.

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-16714-16.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

Mike Dillen said:

Tony, whenever anyone wants to get into turning for cheap I cringe. Reason being when I try go cheap I just get frustrated and end up spending money twice. Turning is anything but cheap. I would however take a few classes in wood turning before you spend a dime and if it appeals to you then buy quality tools and it will make the craft more enjoyable & cheaper in the long run.

Look on craig's list and in a lot of cases you can find a lathe in good condition at a fair price. I wouldn't buy a Delta at this time due to the decline in customer support. If your looking for a Midi lathe I would highly advise staying away from harbor freight and Penn State Industries, the quality is hit or miss. If you want to start with a Midi lathe take a look at the new Jet Midi lathe that was just released. http://www.jettools.com/us/en/home/  It has features that I wished were available when I bought my Jet.

Woodcraft usually has pretty good assortment of lathes. 

Tony Greenway said:

www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

Thanks Mike, appreciate the info, I will do what you suggest

Mike Dillen said:

Tony, whenever anyone wants to get into turning for cheap I cringe. Reason being when I try go cheap I just get frustrated and end up spending money twice. Turning is anything but cheap. I would however take a few classes in wood turning before you spend a dime and if it appeals to you then buy quality tools and it will make the craft more enjoyable & cheaper in the long run.

Look on craig's list and in a lot of cases you can find a lathe in good condition at a fair price. I wouldn't buy a Delta at this time due to the decline in customer support. If your looking for a Midi lathe I would highly advise staying away from harbor freight and Penn State Industries, the quality is hit or miss. If you want to start with a Midi lathe take a look at the new Jet Midi lathe that was just released. http://www.jettools.com/us/en/home/  It has features that I wished were available when I bought my Jet.

Tony Greenway said:

Great advice, Mike, thanks for jumping in!

Mike Dillen said:

Tony Greenway said:

Sorry Larry I was refering to the newer tools. The old Deltas are like bedrock, they're the foundation of woodworking.

Larry Buskirk said:

Mike,

Ouch! that hurts,

My 1941 Delta is in the corner whimpering, I saved it from the scrap man.

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-16711-6.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

Mike Dillen said:

I really love these pins Lew. I am trying to get my hands on some stock big enough to turn some short ones of my own but finding stock big enough is a bit expensive, without charging an arm and leg for what I make.

Charles Nicholls
Site Host
nicholls61@att.net
Proud supporter of The Wounded Warrior Project, Homes For Our Troops and the NRA

http://www.etsy.com/shop/nichollswoodworks

Archived