Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Shane Whitlock

20 inch Walker Turner Model 70-400 Drill Press Restoration Pics

I finally finished the restoration of this Walker Turner drill press. I restored this DP for a gentleman as payment for some machines that I got from him. You can read more about that here https://thepatriotwoodworker.com/forum/topics/powermatic-81-band-saw-restoration

In my opinion the 20 inch Walker Turner is one of the best drill presses ever made and I wish it was mine. This one came with the production table, 1 hp 3 phase motor, and powerfeed. It was in pretty rough shape when I brought it into the shop ... Ugly blue paint job and lots and lots of rust.

It's a floor model but as you can see in this pic I lowered the head so it wasn't so top heavy when transporting it.

994160.jpgDisassembling the DP was a challenge. Everything was heavily rusted. To give ya an idea of how bad it was, this is the inside of the gear box for raising and lowering the table. Rusted solid!

IMG_2220.jpg I pulled off the motor, powerfeeder and spindle and then I used my old Hercules chain hoist to get the head off the column

993037.jpgI then tried to get the table off, it was rusted solid to the colum. It tooks a couple of weeks of soaking it with Acetone and ATF and lots of heat to finally get it to bust loose.

The base was even worse. No amount of heat, penetrating oil or banging with a BFH was getting the job done. I finally had to make a puller, or I guess you would call it a pusher, out of an old barbell weight and three ½" bolts to push it off. Even then it took about 2 weeks to get it to budge a 1/16 of an inch, but once I got it moving it came off fairly easily.

basepusher.JPGTo get the rust and paint off I made an electrolysis tank and used a 30 inch saw blade for the anode.

spooge.JPGI put the base in for a couple of days and let it cook ... it got rid of most of the paint and rust.

baseelectrolysis.JPGNext I used fine grit sand paper and scotch brite pads to shine it up.

baseshine.JPGThen I finished removing the rest of the rust and old paint and prepped it for fresh paint.

basestrip.JPGThree coats of paint and it was looking good as new.

basepaint.JPGI used the same steps to clean up the head and table.

Head.JPG

table.JPGThe powerfeeder wasn't working when I first tried it. I took it apart and found a couple of the clutch discs were in wrong. It was then working but when I cleaned it up I found a couple busted gears. I informed the owner about it and he decided he didn't want it repaired so the powerfeeder didn't get put back on.

The owner doesn't have 3 phase power in his shop so I added a Teco FM50 VFD. Now the motor will run on single phase 120 v power and the VFD also gives it variable speed which I really like.

So here's some pics of the DP all restored.

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2349.jpgThe DP looks and works great .... now I don't want to give it back to it's owner ;)

Thanks for looking,

Shane

Shane,

It looks fantastic.

ning-twothumbsup-8843-24.gif

The C-H  deco switch looks much better where it's supposed to be.

http://api.ning.com:80/files/*JoV1omPzSMlXHY8ZhskSYrxLbp3415bhtudPnr9nYulXC4xzryvj6mzDPGsJIo9jrfD5Yetrs7gPeGxl8A1bP-NchQF-3g9/TwoThumbsUp.gif' target="_self"> 

Shane,

As always, a superior restoration!

Please talk to us about polishing the base and table.

What grit emery cloth?  What color Scotch Brite pads?  Orbital tool or Pad tool?  And, probably the most important question, how long to do the base as an example.  I cannot seem to get to that level of polish and shine.

Ray

Wow that looks awesome. I can see why you would want to keep it.

Awesome work and I love the detail step by step you give. You have sure help me a lot.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-8834-1.jpg?http://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Man oh Man..   I found this site because of this thread about your drill press...  What an amazing job!  I have the Walker Turner 1100 Drill Press, about ten years older.  I recently "upgraded" the motor mount to the later model like yours, with the quick belt release.

My Table elevator looked exactly the same inside!  Remarkable gunk in there.  I don't know how you found this, but the upper bearing retainer, above the spindle pulley, was a BEAR to remove, to change the belt.  I had to drill and tap holes in the top of it, and use bolts to draw the retainer up, while mustle-ing it back and forth with a channel locks!  Ugh!

Mine was repainted a green color by a high school.  I cannot WAIT to repaint it a nice gray, but can't justify the time on it yet, working so perfectly, until I get my shop more cleaned up from a move!!

Thanks for posting all the pics too!  

Bernie

out sanding

looks like new. one heck of a job and machine.

Sign in to follow this  

Who We Are

Operation Ward 57 Challenge Coin Display Project

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our American veterans and active duty, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. Join us now!

Objective

Air Force Command Center Plaque

Of course just like most online woodworking communities we are centralized in the arts, crafts, and trades that are woodworking. But, we have another focus in our Patriot Woodworker community, we are the only woodworking community that was founded on our care and concern for our disabled veterans.

Volunteer

Patriot Woodworker Volunteers

The Patriot Woodworkers are an all volunteer community, from the staff and hosts who run our online woodworking community to the members who frequent our forums, you'll find volunteers in all of us. We are not on a payroll, unless you consider the spiritual rewards gained from volunteering, as compensation.

Education

Logging

One of the many projects we are working on is a wiki for our online community. A wiki is a great way for woodworkers and enthusiasts to share their knowledge to others, and to impart their knowledge for others to learn from, and utilize as well for their own benefit. We hope you'll consider being a wiki contributor.