Dado blades

Ron England

you can put on smaller diameter blades. Dados are typically 3/4" or less in depth so you do not need a larger blade. Also the smaller the blade the less weight that has to be spun by your saw motor. Most of your good quality dado sets will come in 6" or 8" in diamter. I have a Jet Contractor and the Freud Super Dado 8" set and it works just fine. Just be sure to get the best quality set that you can afford. 

Allen Worsham
Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk.'
J. Vernon McGee

“Our greatest fear should not be that we won’t succeed,
but that we will succeed at something that doesn’t matter.â€
D.L. Moody

Mines an 8", too. I've never found a need for the extra 1" of cutting depth I have over a 6". I wish I'd have bought a 6" instead. Been a lot less expensive.

Another thing you should look at is how flat does it cut. If dados are exposed, you don't want gaps under the mating piece. 

I had mine reground because the outside cutters cut deeper than the chippers. Now it cuts dead flat and I use it for making box joints.  

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Ron,

The ones for my Delta 1160 tilt top tablesaw are a 6" stacked dado set.

This is the same set that Delta offered for the early Uni-saws.

They have offered a version of it since 1930.

Most of the factory dado table inserts for 10" table saws will not fit larger dado sets.

Delta's website still states a maximum 6" dado blade set for the 10" Uni-Saw available today.

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-8467-95.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

That's an understatement Lew.  I have one and I'd give it to anyone who'll pay the postage.

Lewis Kauffman said:

+1 on what Gene said about the flat bottom.

The "wobblers" are really a pain to set up.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

The only thing I would even consider as a positive characteristic of mine is that it cuts a flat bottom. I have considered somehow locking it at 1/4" and using it for a box joint only blade.

Ron Dudelston said:

That's an understatement Lew.  I have one and I'd give it to anyone who'll pay the postage.

Lewis Kauffman said:

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

That to start then either come CA or JB weld to lock it in place. The take it to a welding shop and have the "adjuster" welded in a couple of places.

Gene Howe said:

Hey Lew,

Maybe a set up block. (Chuckle)

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

John,

Which dado set do you have from Freud?
I have the Freud Super Dado 8" set and could not be more pleased with it. It has the 4 wing chippers in different thicknesses for precision fit and the various shims to deal deal with under/oversized dados. It was definitely pricey but worth every penny.

ning-freudb00004rk0p1lg-8459-2.jpg

71OIEnWAgS._SL1000_.jpg?width=721

John Morris said:

I have the 8" Freud set Ron, I hate it. I don't like the "Cutting Edge" design, and it was the worse investment I have ever made, get a traditional dado set, and yes, 8" will do well on your 10" table saw.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-8459-95.jpg?width=90

Mine is similar Allen, except I have the two wing chippers.It feels like I have to really push the material through it and the cut is less than flat, very rigidity. I need to clean up the bottoms with my rebate plane every single time or the joint looks jagged. Perhaps the 4 wing chippers are an improvement.

Allen Worsham said:

John,

Which dado set do you have from Freud?
I have the Freud Super Dado 8" set and could not be more pleased with it. It has the 4 wing chippers in different thicknesses for precision fit and the various shims to deal deal with under/oversized dados. It was definitely pricey but worth every penny.

ning-freudb00004rk0p1lg-8458-9.jpg

John Morris said:

Allen Worsham
Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk.'
J. Vernon McGee

“Our greatest fear should not be that we won’t succeed,
but that we will succeed at something that doesn’t matter.”
D.L. Moody

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-8458-36.jpg?width=90

10" is prolly  too big.   You might need a 5 HP  Hemi engine to spin 10".  Think of the surface area of the cut.  most dados can go to an inch wide and that's a lot of surface area.

You are prolly way better off with 8"

Best dado I ever had was the Crapsman Crome Edge brand finish edge dado. It's over 40 years old. Though I'm sure that some of the nicer carbide tipped models will perform admirably.

Mostly these days I use my 500 dollar Felder dado and I still think the Crapsman was better. Plus I think I paid maybe $30.00 for it new.

Of course those were real dollars not the trash monopoly money that passes for dollars today.

Hey~!! It's a hobby~!! It's not supposed to make sense.

Archived