Friday, Feb 21st, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

John Moody

One thing I have learned living in the South, if you don't like the weather, wait a couple of hours and it will change. Last week we had snow and freezing rain here, this week it is in the 70's and we had one of our first Sever Storms last night with 60 to 70 mile winds and today it is in the 70's and not a cloud in the sky.

We have Butter Cups already breaking through and coming up.

ning-img-3037-4860-44.jpg

Seeing them reminded me of a song, "Build Me Up ButterCup". Anyone know who originally recorded it? I do just checking out the oldies from the 60's if you can remember them. LOL

While you are looking that up. What's on your Patriot Woodworker Agenda this weekend?

Here in my shop I am hard at working on the Cherry Chest.

ning-img-3032-4860-51.jpg

A little more sanding and I should get the box portion together Saturday and start on the bottom and top trim. I am way way way behind on this one so I have got to push this hard. I am not sure how this wood is going to do, but on my moisture meter which only goes to 6% I don't even get a reading when I put it on this Cherry.

I am also trying to get ready for First Friday's Craft shows in Florence which begin the First Friday in March so I only have a couple of weeks. I have five large plus one in the house ready. Well these need to be branded and oiled but they are ready.

ning-img-3035-4860-90.jpg

And I have five more in the first glue up and they will make five medium and five small boards, so this is the first 15 boards of the year.

ning-img-3034-4860-80.jpg

I know you are going, I don't see five. Well they are sitting everywhere in the shop as I am working on too many projects at once again.

Also got the first coat of black paint on the TV stand. It has been raining so much I couldn't spray paint this and I needed to be outside. Should get the underside today at lunch.

ning-img-3036-4860-29.jpg

So it has gone from this to the black but taken about two weeks.

ning-img-2923-4860-62.jpg

ning-img-2987-4860-89.jpg

So I am getting there with all of this going on at the same time plus doing a little picking in between.

So what about the rest of you Patriot Woodworkers, what are you working on this weekend, new projects, jigs, restoration of old tools, adding to the shop, rearranging the shop, cleaning the shop, or just laying around waiting on the spring to get going? We here at TPW love to see your projects and share what we are doing with you. So come on don't be bashful and post those projects here. It is fun to see them progress from the beginning to the end.

I'm waiting, don't disappoint me, I want to see some projects with pictures this weekend. Get out in the shop and make some sawdust.

I got nothing happening these days as other stuff keeps getting in the way. I have a number of projects waiting to get going, but the time just keeps slipping away with other things that take priority. We have our son and daughter in law coming out on the 28th from Indianapolis for a few days so we have a lot to get ready in the house and back yard as we will be having a big open house for all of their friends. I have been working on our taxes the past couple of days getting everything sorted and organized. Today I should be able to actually start on doing the input on the computer and should have it all done tonight (hopefully). So maybe next week I will be able to get some woodworking done.

Oh...I did do some woodworking yesterday! My wife had a bunch of paint brushes that she bought for her classroom and they had really long handles on them that needed to be cut down. She marked one where she wanted it cut and then I bundled them all together with a rubber band and cut them on the miter saw and then sanded the ends. That was only 5 minutes worth of woodworking, but it counts!!! :-)

Greetings from sunny and warm Tucson.
Took the grandkids to see the big rodeo parade yesterday. Estimated that there were 250 K spectators. Glad we had grandstand seats reserved. Its supposed to be the largest non motorized parade in the country. To give you a hint of the flavor of the celebration: The Sheriffs posse mens vocal group sang all of Frankie Laines greatest hits and a bunch of the Sons of the Pioneers songs.
Saw every Miss..whatever. in the state, almost every marching band that had a bus, and hundreds of horses and riders and horses pulling coaches, wagons and sulkies. Percherons and Clydesdales, Pintos and Paso Finos, Paints and Palominos lots of horses. It was quite a spectacle.

Oh yes, on the way back to the car we got to watch a couple of cowboys trying to catch a runaway horse. He was in the street, a four lane busy street. Poor guy was frightened near to death. One of the cowboys managed to get a lasso over his head and corralled him. Tucson drivers just take loose horses in stride. Every body stopped and no one blew their horn...or their cool.

Later today, Phyllis and I are headed to Green Vally to visit with a woodworking friend from BC, then, back here to mask doors and windows on sons new garage. We get the first coat of primer on tomorrow. It's stucco. That's good and that's bad.

See ya Monday, probably. Have a fun weekend everyone.

Need to install a lid on a toy, er tool chest, and maybe get some varnish on it.........Got some plugs to glue in first.

Have to install a couple cleats under the lid's ends. There is a back crack near one end, and I need to at least slow it down. Cleats would help keep things flat, and maybe seal out the dust.... Top is getting flatterning-dscf0042-4869-42.jpg?width=721

S L O W L Y....