Handsaw RESCUE!

day two of rust hunt. Found a few tape measures, Stanley Powerlocks for $2 ea.   One for me, one so my Daughter won't steal MINE anymore.

Another yard sale, and....GRRRRRRR Painted saws!   HATE Painted saws!ning-imag0138-1150-40.jpg?width=750Bad enough they painted one side, butning-imag0139-1150-56.jpg?width=750BOTH sides on two of them?   Four saws, $3 full the "set".   will need a BIG can of KleenStrip paint stripper

Might be a while, though, before these are ready to be seen by Polite Company ( Hide your eyes, Morris) even in this place

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Well, two cans of KleenStrip and let it soak overnight.  Putty knife to scrape most of the junk off.   Then a sander, and some wire wheels.....paint is gone.   The Sandvik will get a sanding later.   There is a WS skew back 8ppi, a D-8 8ppi skew back WITH a 95% READABLE ETCH, steel hardware.   and a Mystery saw.    MS has way too blocky of a handle, so the router rounded things off a bitning-imag0139-1154-10.jpg?width=721The "red" blade is a reflection, not rust nor paint.  First saw has Brass hardware, too.   Mystery Saw has some weird Steel bolts.    All thread up to the non-slotted head, with four ribs right under the head.  Neither the WS or the MS have an etch.   Might be worth the $3 I spent?

BTW:  what LOOKED like bad, dull teeth on a couple of the saws...was just extra paint.    Thick paint was all over the teeth.  Not any more, and they seemed to be SHARP. 

Lots of times, and just walked on by.    Some, though, they were painted to hide a bunch of rust pits, or a crack.    Found a Bedrock 606 a couple years ago,  the pins that lock the frog down were painted a gold colour.   Sides of the flot top was painted a thick, heavy duty, hard to strip, black.    Sold it to Don Wilwol and let HIM deal with that.  

Painted planes?   I will look, and then walk away....

Ok, saws are now presentable to Polite  Companyning-imag0140-1151-10.jpg?width=721The tote and hardware came from a Diamond Edge parts saw, the 11ppi blade used to be that RUSTY sandvik.    Pit City!  Serves as a temp. home for the DE parts, so they don't run off and hide.ning-imag0141-1151-3.jpg?width=721Warranted Superior 8 ppi skew back saw, maybe a disston made.  This one had painted scenes on both sides. ning-imag0142-1151-51.jpg?width=721Unknown maker, weird bolts.   Had paint  on both sides and part of the tote.  Roundover bit to soften the edges a bit, was too blocky.  ning-imag0143-1151-95.jpg?width=721And the star of this show. Disston D-8 8ppi skew back saw. steel hardware, BIG medallion.   has a 95% readable etch.   Had a painted scene  on this side only.    Teeth are still sharp.  Parts saw?  Yep, got the Parts Saw completed as wellning-imag0145-1151-41.jpg?width=721Warranted Superior 8ppi crosscut.   Steel hardware.   Transplant a better handle onto a decent sawplate.   Etch?ning-imag0144-1151-36.jpg?width=721You can just make out some of it, where Henry Disston is bragging about his saws, and signed it.   Need to get some blue stuff and highlight the etch better.  

Not too bad a week work?   Or, cheap entertainment?

Archived