John Morris

Betcha rip those labels off your mattresses and sofas, too.:D

My favorite finish, Watco, has those stupid cap covers. They get cut off first thing. If I neglect to clean the threads on the can and the cap, its welded on. Water pump pliers to the rescue. But, they are useless if that idiotic plastic cap is there.

While we are talking about stupid tools, I give the award to this one.  Just what I want is a tool that I cannot sharpen and will rip up my fingers when I try to do fine work by holding with two hands.   https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/fine-tune-your-woodworking-projects-with-just-one-tool/

Those Nicholson "thingies" were listed on Amazon back in 2013 and there are zero comments.   If they are made of the same steel and heat treating as their current files (hardened to old solder RC, I'm guessing)...all i have to say is "no thanks...ever":(

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

@John Morris turned me on to a great set of

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/iwasaki_floats.htm They're hand stitched and from Japan. Best I've ever used. 

I never knew rasps could cut like this Gene, it's a completely different experience than the traditional rasps isn't it!

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

I never knew rasps could cut like this Gene, it's a completely different experience than the traditional rasps isn't it!

Sure is. They cut any wood like it's butter. Great for fine work.

If you want to get a bit more agressive, check out farrier's rasps. They can remove a ton of wood fast. They're two sided and the fine side leaves a decent, ready for sanding, surface.