Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

MWTCA June 2018 'What's It' Project

Rate this topic

Hog scraper

53 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Maybe it is an animal hide scraper.

I was thinking that too!!!

It's funny you mentioned hide scraper. I was thinking it could be used for that. As a jeweler I use Alum to dissolve steel drill bits that break off in gold or silver. It is also used in old pickling recipes to keep them crisp. I just ordered Alum on Amazon last week and found out it is also used in hide tanning. So Amazon suggested I might also like to purchase hide scrapers. But, the one I saw had a straight blade.

I found this one @ChuckJ.

https://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FHSCRAP&variation=SERR

Could be different styles perhaps, a curved style as is our item? Our featured specimen has the exact same serrated edge as the one pictured here.

s-l1600.jpg

I would love to encourage @HandyDan to make contact with a professional in the industry and acquire confirmation, Handy Dan was the first one to mention animal hide scraper, Dan, you could have a beautiful hand plane coming to ya!

@John Morris  Would this be proof enough?  Modern day version I assume.

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trappingpeltfleshingtool.aspx

Here is the larger image from the website.

image.png.d5910a14fca6427f2752ff165c1114a2.png

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

I got my fingers crossed for Dan. GO Dan!

Herb

me too...

17 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Sent a few emails out.  See what happens. 

Let us know as soon as you know Dan! Hopefully we can celebrate!

@John Morris  I got a reply from Joe at PCS Outdoors.  They are the tool supplier for the tool in my above post.  Here is his reply.

Mr. Henkele: 

I would have to agree with you.  You've already looked up item 671-7102 ( I was going to send a reference to it but you found it already).  I can see where some might think it's for plastering or spreading tile mastic, but I'm leaning towards the fleshing tool idea.  One for the "rustic" appearance of the tool.  Two, fleshing tools are made to use by drawing it towards yourself with the handle (In my opinion, the handle on this would get in the way of properly spreading plaster/mastic unless you were pushing it).  I hope this helps.

Joe

PCS Outdoors

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trappingpeltfleshingtool.aspx

I want to thank Tina Heisner and Joe from PCS Outdoors.  They took the time to consider and answer my questions.  PCS out doors must be a great company to deal with having employees who are willing to go the distance to answer emails like these two.

Edited by HandyDan