My Great Uncle Jeriod Merle Tate USMC 1st Sgt

Died of his wounds received during the initial assault on Guam, he was transported back to his ship, where he succumbed 3 days later. May God have a place of eternity for my Uncle Jeroid Merle Tate, and the rest of his Devil Dogs and all the men and women who paid the ultimate price.

Uncle Jeroid, or as my father called him Uncle Jerry, was involved in many of the South Pacific campaigns before his life ended, he fought in the jungles of the South Pacific from island to island, he was war tested. He received his 1st SGT rank during a battle field commission as men fell all around him in an earlier island campaign.

We proudly named our son after my Great Uncle, we wanted to name him with a meaningful name.

As a side note, his mother did not get the news of his passing for an entire month, news just moved slow back then. The photo below was taken at San Diego's MCRD. The Western Union and the image are both in our possession, as family heirlooms.

Uncle Jeroid.jpg

Western Union.jpg

Sgt Edwin Penn my cousin. He was 7 months younger than I was and was like my brother rather than a cousin. I got drafted in 1967 but enlisted instead in the Army Security Agency. He was drafted in 1968 in the 101st ABN. He was in Viet Nam for 29 days when he was killed in a fire fight. So proud of him. He left a wife and a small boy. I found his name on the Wall in DC along with 2 of my high school classmates who were killed over there. I still miss him to this day 50 yrs later.

Eddie Penn.jpg

Edited by BernieW
Resize Picture.

Today i take a knee in remeberance of several fallen friends. We were all aviation so its a rare thing. I miss them so much.... i dont have a picture for 1.

Spc. Zachary Shannon (top)

SGT Nemo Tuala

SSG Marc Scialdo (bottom)

Clear blue and 22 boys. Well rally at hevans gate at and undetermined as of yet time brothers...

AR-308239452.jpg

FB_IMG_1527433967794.jpg

We’ve been very lucky. I was in the Air Force Reserves, never called up, not a Veteran. My brother was full time Air Force, 1980-84, has Veteran’s status, doesn’t consider himself a Veteran, never left the USA. His son served a year in Iraq, as a Marine, definitely a Veteran. My Dad, never got closer to Korea than Japan, he loved Japan, is considered a Veteran, but my Dad only considered those in the war zones, Veterans. My Uncle (by marriage) Korean War Veteran, don’t know any more than that, we never talked about it. My Grandfather couldn’t enlist during WWII because he’d had 3 kids (they were only accepting fathers of 2 or less at the time). He quit his job, and went up to Alaska, and spent a year helping to build the Al-Can highway. My Wife’s Dad, two tours of Vietnam Nam, as a medic, definitely a Veteran. He died 20 years before I even met my wife. My Wife’s Grandfather was in the army, in the mountains of Italy, during WWII. Definitely a Veteran. How much action he saw, I do not know. I do know from my history the action up there was like Iwo Jima, with snow. My Grandmother’s brother, Uncle Eddie was at Guadalcanal. I only met him once that I remember. Definitely a Veteran. Since my Dad passed, April 22, 2003, we have gone to the cemetery for their Memorial Day Service, every year. I know of no words or actions that can take away the pain of losing a family member or friend, but I offer my prayers. It is a holy day in our family, as is Veterans’ Day. Most people try to tell me that because I served I’m a Veteran, no I’m not. I offered my services to my country for 4 years, they were not needed. I’m very comfortable with that. I take great pride in having an Honorable Dischage. Call me a patriot and I will willingly plead guilty to that. I thank everyone who has served, and those who took care of the families while anxiously awaiting the return of their loved ones. (A very difficult type of service).

I had four uncles that saw heavy action in WWII and were all lucky to come home alive. I was born when they were away at war and in their letters to my mom they all mentioned that they wanted to get this war over and come home to see me. They were a great influence on me teaching me how to hunt and fish, how to build things and repair cars. They are all gone now but I will never forget what they did for me and our country. God bless you all, Wally ,Pete, John and Bill.

I celebrate Memorial Day the same as the other remembrance days, honoring those who have served and died and those still alive. My Dad served 4 years in the Navy on Guam as supply clerk and was overseas when I was born. He died in 1970. My Mom worked in aircraft repair at a local air force base, and told me stories of food rationing, and the fear of far away battles. She died in 2004. My brother served as a clerk at an army base in Germany. I served in the 7th Infantry division stationed at Camp Casey, South Korea.  My wife's Mom assembled artillery shells in Ontario, Canada. She died in 21012. All of my uncles served in WWI or Korea and are all dead. I have a cousin who served as Navy seal during Johnson's secret raids into North VN, and is quiet about it all. All of my family is tied to the military over the years. We know the freedom and peace we have today is because of their combined efforts, and we are mindful of their sacrifices. Civilians don't get the credit they deserve for their contributions but we include them because they help a lot. I sincerely hope my grand-kids never have to face the horrors of war but they understand what we have done, and they are thankful. 

hat

Edited by hatuffej
Omission of self.