Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Funny that he knows exactly what he spent for his tools, but can't remember what year he started certain work.  And he likes Craftsman tools.

Another one of my chair making mentors, Kerry Pierce. Reading his books is what got me started with my shaker rockers. He's a very interesting fellow, and a great artist. I have exchanged many an email with this gentleman, he is a cancer survivor, his cancer is directly linked with the finishes and cleaning chemicals he used in his shop, he changed his finishing to greatly reduce the risk associated with cancer as much as he could. Doesn't surprise me about his memory about tools cost, reading about him you'll learn he and his wife are completely thrifty about most things, and when he acquired his tools, they were just starting out and could barely afford much, that ol Craftsman lathe per his book is an indexing lathe which is very beneficial in chair making of this type, and he was able to do away with the stand, and spread the centers apart further to accommodate the long back legs in the taller chairs.

Thanks for sharing Keith!

In my photo album I give Kerry full credit for my interest and inspiration.

And something for Steve: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/shop-tour-kerry-pierce-part-1-handplanes

I think Kerry's father was also a skilled woodworker.  I seem to remember some stories/articles by him when I was first starting out.   I believe he had only a couple of fingers on one hand, but still managed a lot of hand work.   (Is that right, @JohnMorris ?)

Oh, and there is a small museum with a lot of Shaker artifacts just a few miles from me, if you are ever in the area.  And last I knew, a former neighbor is one of the leads on the Whitewater reconstruction project. https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/05/20/union-the-lost-shaker-village/

Edited by kmealy

2 minutes ago, kmealy said:

I think Kerry's father was also a skilled woodworker.  I seem to remember some stories/articles by him when I was first starting out.   I believe he had only a couple of fingers on one hand, but still managed a lot of hand work.   (Is that right, @JohnMorris ?)

I don't remember reading anything about that Keith, I am sure he wrote more about his family in other books, but that tidbit of info escapes me right now.