Brand Names Are Often Overpriced

oldwoodie

A few years ago I was easily convinced that Stanley was the only company that made good quality wood planes. However, after using several different brands such as Buck Brothers, Bailey, Fulton, Craftsman, etc., I find that the main thing to be concerned with is if they fit your hands well. They all hold a blade, and if they are sharp and tuned right, they all do a decent job. Anyone agree or disagree?

It's nice to have high end tools, but many of the lower brand tools work well. If the cheaper tool breaks, you can usually buy another and still not invest as much cash as you would in the one high end. I have a HF 10' General SCMS that has been problem free for over 3 years. My Ryobi cordless drill and impact drivers have performed as well as my former DeWalt drivers. Still using the original batteries after years of use, but I recently purchased a couple of heavier duty batteries at a price below the cost of 1 DeWalt battery for insurance, and to back up the cordless Ryobi weed whacker

Edited by It Was Al B

Some of those brands were made by Stanley anyway. Steven is certainly more than a casual plane user and knows how to tune them, but I have a Craftsman (I think mine might be a Millers Falls plane) that I can't get set to plane no matter how much work I put into it. Doesn't matter since I have a Stanley the same size that works well. But I think in some cases they may beyond hope. I do think the old Stanleys set the standard.

5 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Steven is certainly more than a casual plane user and knows how to tune them, but I have a Craftsman (I think mine might be a Millers Falls plane) that I can't get set to plane no matter how much work I put into it.

Sounds like a challenge for @steven newman during TPW Summer-fest 2018:D

3 hours ago, Gerald said:

Most hand planes can be tuned or upgraded to do a good job. I bought a Craftsman with a crack in the mouth and was able to tune it to get a good shaving but that is nothing like my Stanley #7 with a Hock blade. 

Have to remember, that Craftsman plane just might have been made by Stanley, Sargent, or Millers Falls....

I found a hand plane that will fit my hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GHO12V-08N-Planer-Bare-Tool/dp/B07B6JPYFT/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_2/147-1832705-8571505?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07B6JPYFT&pd_rd_r=f12a6898-5c99-11e8-95cc-8d6372de52a3&pd_rd_w=vQc8k&pd_rd_wg=3Pl7E&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3914568618330124508&pf_rd_r=37E98HATY5QGA2JPNSM3&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=37E98HATY5QGA2JPNSM3&dpID=51%252BacZOiEIL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

You have to copy and paste, will not open for some reason.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

41 minutes ago, Dadio said:

I found a hand plane that will fit my hand.

Here's mine...well not actually mine but identical to it...gave $10 for it at a flea market...had new knife set installed...needed the belt so I have about $20 in it

image.png.21f205fb18462fe3416d579d6ead56de.png

Have you considered one of these:P https://www.harborfreight.com/3-14-in-75-amp-heavy-duty-electric-planer-with-dust-bag-61687.html

or even one of these;) https://www.harborfreight.com/no-4-jack-and-mini-plane-set-92553.html

I do have this set but I only gave $9.99 for it plus got something free I'm sure:lol: I've never used it yet...wanted to "tune" the Jack plane up first just to see how it would perform. The block plane is slightly better than a Surform plane or wood rasp:cowboy:

Edited by Grandpadave52

(the law of) diminishing returns

phrase of diminish

noun: law of diminishing returns

1. used to refer to a point at which the level of profits or benefits gained is less than the amount of money or energy invested.

image.png.6a7eeb7c048ab0ee41cbc7492d86c463.png

I've often said this of my Festool sander -- it's a very nice sander, but I'm not sure it's that much nicer than my  Bosch to spend twice as much for it.

52 minutes ago, kmealy said:

(the law of) diminishing returns

phrase of diminish

noun: law of diminishing returns

1. used to refer to a point at which the level of profits or benefits gained is less than the amount of money or energy invested.

image.png.6a7eeb7c048ab0ee41cbc7492d86c463.png

I've often said this of my Festool sander -- it's a very nice sander, but I'm not sure it's that much nicer than my  Bosch to spend twice as much for it.

I am off the end of that chart, Keith on every thing I do in the shop, and I am not into Festools. But personal gratification must factor into that somewhere.

Herb

Edited by Dadio