Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

some months ago I used a big project to purchase a couple of pricey tools one was a milwaukee 18 volt circular saw. 

The weight took some getting used to as I was used to the old school heavy grade worm drive skillsaw.

SO I've been using the thing.  I gotta say I am really impressed.  The  prior experience I've had with cordless  has all been bad.  No power    what power there is is fleeting and the batteries run down.  They were awful so I didn't buy any.

But I'd been reading lately that things have really improved.  So I got one. Just one.  The saw and two batteries ( two because I still didn't have faith that they had any staying power) and the charger.

Well I ended up never using that second battery but one time.

The thing is rugged and powerful.  One time I ran the battery down  on a single job.   I was cutting 6" wide dados in several 6 x 6 in beams to use as interlocking joinery.  I sliced hundreds of cuts and then used a  chisel to make the dadoes.  Other than that one time I've never run a battery down. I never noticed any flagging  of power  in the tool. 

So now I guess I'm sold on cordless.  So I just got a milwaukee half inch drill / driver. And playing  with that a little I am very happy with the tool's capability and power.

Edited by Cliff

I have one of their corded sawzall. It is a real work horse. Haven't tried any of their cordless tools but I see them used in the various shops at my school. If they hold up under student use, they have to be pretty good!

Nice review Cliff.

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences and thoughts.

I have the 12v drill and like it but the high speed does not lock in anymore. May have to open it up and see sometime

change the chuck to one that goes from .0 ~ .55 inches...

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

Well I was using the  drill to build some shelving in my shop/ garage/ cellar - combo.  Driving 1.5 & 2" Tapcons and large  2.5" screws all day  lots and lots of screws.  The battery is still performing fine.  The clutch works very well. 

One thing  with the clutch set to any setting and  the drill is not loaded and I run it free and  release  the trigger there is a banging from the drill that does not happen when there is a load of any sort.  IT's a tad disquieting to hear.  Sounds like gears crashing. I guess the lesson is  don't  just crank it on and off for the sheer thrill of it.

And the stinkin' thing is powerful.  I mean  deserving of the half inch status.  The chuck is limited  on the down side.  It won't hold a drill smaller than  0.625" well.  But whatDaYaWant for a half inch drill?

It is the shaft lock making that sound.   If you notice the shaft is locked when tightening or loosening the chuck.   Roly

12 hours ago, Cliff said:

OK  is that indicative of a negative condition?

I would say not as I have Ridgid drills that do the same thing.  Something has to lock the shaft when you let go of the trigger.   I would say it would be best to slow the drill before letting go of the trigger when unloaded.    I have been unable to see the inner workings of the drill to see what is actually locking the shaft as it is part of an assembly.   Roly

Edited by Roly