a Little Sketchup Advice Needed

I have Sketchup Make on my computer. The problem is I thought I had the free version,  and it doesn't seem to be free. After 30 days it went into the "pay me now" mode and I can't do anything. I tried to open an existing drawing I had for a flag case, and now I can't even quit the program. It won't show the drawing or give me any other options. This is the 2017 version, and I really don't want to move up to the latest, thouh that may be the only solution. Anyone know how to convince it I want to free version?

Fred,

Sketchup Make is the free version. I'll try to find out why it is doing that. Sketchup Make 2017 is the last free version of sketchup that can be downloaded and run from your computer. All future free version need to be run from the Internet and don't work very well at this time.

I checked with a friend who is the Sketchup King. Looks like you originally downloaded Sketchup "Pro" and got the 30 day free trial that reverted back to Make. The best thing to do is to uninstall the sketchup program you have. Then go to https://www.sketchup.com/download/all  and download Sketchup Make- forth one down from the top. Then install the downloaded file. Be certain to right click on the downloaded file and select "Run As Administrator"    when you install it.

Opening previously created files might be a problem, depending on how they were saved.

Let me know when you get the "new" program installed and we will work on the previously saved files.

Lew, I tried what you suggested and got pretty much the same thing....once I open Sketchup (it says it's the "make" version) I can't do anything. Under the "learn" tab it wants me to go to Sketchup Free (the web based version?). Under "template" it won't let me select anything, and I still can't close the darn thing. I should mention: I'm on a Mac. When  tried to right click the downloaded file, I did not get a choice of "open as administer. I appreciate your help, but this may be one of those things I'm not computer-literate enough to solve.But this frustrating, the earlier versions didn't have any of these problems.

OK, I'm not a MAC guy. Sorry about the misleading instructions.

Maybe this would work. Remove the program, again, shut down and restart. Then download the Make 2016 version and install. If that works OK, try an upgrade to 2017

Edited by lew

Lew, thanks for trying to help. At this point I've spent several hours trying to get it functional and cannot. I'm skipping out for now and may come back to it later to see what I screwed up. The "make"download keeps wanting license info and refuses to let me do anythoing else. To shut it down I have to use the "force quit" feature that Macs have. I love using a Mac, but often you find your self all alone because the rest of the world is on Windows. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I've spent several hours trying to get it functional

Just out of curiosity, did you try the steps from that last link? If they did not work, I'll contact my friend- he uses Sketchup on a Mac, and ask him if he has any additional suggestions.

I tried to, but it must be referencing a different version of OSX. It describes a left pane and right pane in the finder window...and I don't have those. That may be part of my problem and frustration, not getting to the library. But i did delete and search the files to see what remained of the program itself and could not find anything, so i reinstalled only to have the same headache. When I get more time I intend to spend some effort using that Mac resource site you linked....but right now I'm so aggravated with the whole thing I need to cool down a little.

Added: both my computers are newer ones so i only have the latest version (s) of OSX, 10.13 on one and 10.12 on the other.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

OK. I'll post any additional information as I find it

https://osxuninstaller.com/uninstall-guides/uninstall-sketchup-thoroughly-on-mac/  not sure about the OS version with these instructions.

A couple of the sites I checked had a "free" uninstaller but my site protection software labeled them as suspicious. Might be best to avoid them

video-

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and update this. After spending many more hours doing about every suggestion I could find on the internet,  cannot get Sketchup make installed and working. I even bought an "uninstaller" program to zap the old Sketchup files. I give up, once (and if) they  get the on line version working I may try to use it. Thanks (especially to Lew) for the suggestions. The uninstaller wasn't expensive, so it wasn't wasted money (and it wasn't a flagged version) but the frustrating part is how they took a pretty good program and kind of messed things up.

@Fred W. Hargis Jr Fred,

I heard back from the Sketchup Guru. Here is his suggestion-

So it sounds to me as if instead of installing SketchUp 2017 Make he installed SketchUp 2017 Pro. Both open for the first 30 days as the Pro trial but the Make version should revert to Make after the 30 days have elapsed. 

At this point I think I would suggest he go to User/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2017. Send it to the trash. If he does that and uninstalls SketchUp 2017 from the Applications, I think he should be able to then install SketchUp 2017 Make. He can get it from https://www.sketchup.com/download/all but make sure he gets the Make version and not Pro.

Also suggest that he ensure he's installing it correctly. That will involve double clicking on the downloaded DMG file and when the window opens showing the SketchUp file and Applications icon, dragging the first to the second. 

I don't thing you tried this, so maybe it will work.

Lew