Someone in one my FB groups posted a picture of a "skeleton" clock. I didn't know what that was until after I did some research. I guess all it means is that a person can see the gears. The one I saw was on a pedestal and it was very nice looking. I need a demo for June and had a little different vision for one. When I do a demo I will make several of an item to make I have it down. So far I've made four of these, no pictures of the first one. It was just to figure out dimensions and diameters. Let me know what you honestly think please.

clock7.JPG.2f97b9fc31521bfb23714f54d3020833.JPGThis is the second I did, it is very simple and very basic, I actually kind of like the front view of this one.

It is made from a piece of 8/4 walnut as about 1 1/8 thickness is needed to hide the back of the clock.

clock5.JPG.79220d4200a44157fa5946978b9bb5e7.JPGThis is a perspective view and it just doesn't work IMO. The brass trim ring looks huge on this one. You probably noticed there is no foot. There isn't a foot on any of these. My vision is for the clock to sit on a high shelf or fireplace mantle and kind of rise out of the surface.

clock2.JPG.2145fd2b35595808b888a2f095fe1e7c.JPGThis is the next one, it is white oak and walnut. I have always liked the way those two woods look together. IMO, the walnut feature ring is just too small and is hard to see. On all of the clocks it's hard to see the hands from any distance but I think that's the movement itself.

clock1.JPG.0cf651c65eda96dd835038a65f74ab78.JPG

Persepective on the walnut  and white oak clock, definitely looks better in the front view. This one  is a little heavy on the front too. it would be okay on a mantle or high shelf but on a table it would tip over if bumped.

clock8.JPG.223ff0e315e9de8d59904729c865809f.JPGThis is the last one I've done and the best one I think. It is hickory and walnut. I like the white oak and walnut better but the walnut ring is better on this one I think. For what it's worth, it's the same movement in all three. It just presses into a 2 3/4" diameter hole. You can tell in this one how hard are the hands to see.

clock4.JPG.f3246e7295b7b77b1e507c1df0678284.JPG

Perspective on the last one. Let me know what you think, not sure about the look and maybe a foot will be necessary.

Steve

I like them.  The last one is my favorite because the clock face sitting higher off the table.  Only suggestion I might have would be to try one with the clock bezel sunk into the wood up to the chamfer on the bezel.  Might give a thinner clock with a little cleaner lines while making it more stable/balanced.  

Love the clock works.  How are the powered.    

I think a foot will improve the overall look. I was thinking of something like a flat matching wood piece with one or two brass rods supporting the clock

Probably fancier than this with an edge to match to clock edge profile-

Untitled.jpg.cd08f09d3853a53535196e50e3ab6a28.jpg

Just my 2¢

Also, I wonder if a thin ebonized maple ring to separate the the two wooden species. The black would tie in the hannds and numbers

Edited by lew

I'm with Dan & Gerald...the last one is my favorite, I agree a foot of some sort might be needed. Perhaps a version of a pair of small corbels profiled to match the body either attached the clock body or as a base that the main clock body sets within. It would be cool if you could conceal a small back-light (blue, red, purple or??) to provide a soft glow at night.

image.png.1f1dca45f93b05f90310627a53056dfc.png

12 hours ago, Gerald said:

Thanks Gerald, saw that and showed it to the boss. She didn't care for it. She likes simple best and likes the plain walnut effort.

Steve

25 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Did you design this or was it a kit. I don't know why I am the only one to be critical of what it is ..... but here you have a skeleton clock and you are building a frame around it .... like you are trying to hide the fact it is what it is.

Not sure if you're asking Gerald or I. In my case, it's not a kit. I'm just attempting different looks to see what works. The skeleton clock movement itself is not designed to be free standing at all. The way it's made some sort of case is required.

Steve