Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Pat Meeuwissen

Buying Plywood Router Bits (Undersized)

Rate this topic

Good morning to all the mothers out there. I'm in the market to buy a set of these bits, I'm leaning towards the Whiteside 470 set but was looking to see if there was any others that might be good as well? Any special place to buy to get a good deal would be really appreciated. Pat 

I bought a set of Infinity undersize router bits for plywood.  Infinity bits are considered high end and not inexpensive.

The Whiteside are what I now consider to be among the best bits on the market, and you can sometimes stumble onto good deals for them...but other very good ones are Freud, Infinity, and the CMT Italian bits (as opposed to the Chinese ones). You might find the CMT at a Menards if you have one nearby, they stock both the Italian and the Chinese CMT bits and have 11% off everything this week. You could also try Roter Bit World, I've bought a fair amount of stuff from them and find their prices to be quite good, with very fair shipping....the have the CMT bits as well as the Freud. (CMT bits is a link if you can't see it very well).

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

Not having a decent store nearby, my router bit purchases are all either Amazon or Router Bit World. I bought the Whiteside set from Amazon. Rockler has a set considerably cheaper, and, Amazon has some reeeely cheep yellow ones from China. Probably one time use, though....if that. 

Whiteside or Freuds...

I know what you are doing.   I considered the same thing  but held back for fear that the cheap slimy  stingy Ba#$@#$ds in the lumber industry would change it all up again and  make the lumber smaller still.

Little experience with their (Grizzly) bits Pat, but FWIW, Grizzly does offer this set. Two flute design vs three but less expensive too. Guess it depends how frequently you plan to use and anticipated linear feet of use.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Straight-Plywood-3-pc-Set-1-2-/H5559

Pat, there is also the option if you are able, to make a decision to purchase ply from a hardwood store, typically the ply there is going to better quality, and a true dimensioned thickness. You may be surprised to find as well, that it may be the equivalent or just slightly higher in cost than the box store, but in my opinion the advantages of buying from the hard wood retailer outweighs the disadvantages.

Hard Wood Retailer: Typically mom and pop, or smaller than a box store, better customer service, better quality, and often less in cost, true dimensions in solid woods and plys.

Just a thought.