Friday, May 11, 2018, What's On Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

I'm sure happy that the elections here in Indiana are over for 6 months.  I'm the chairman of the local election board and it has been a very long week that started last Thursday.  Even with the election process going on, I was able to spend some time with my son tearing down his newly purchased house.  Yesterday marked 6 weeks since we started the de-construction process and with any luck the structure will be on the ground next Monday.  The pictures below show our progress as of tonight.  The roof is off half the house and hopefully it will be totally off by Saturday. 

Not much shop time this week and none scheduled for the weekend.  So, here's the question Patriot Woodworkers, "What's on your weekend agenda?"

IMG_1746.JPGIMG_1747.JPGIMG_1748.JPG

Boy Ron, that footprint would make an awesome workshop; assume it's on a slab? You should have enough material to frame it plus the trusses...just a dream I had.:P

Any ways, spent most of today chauffeuring my step-dad around to various body shops getting estimates to repair his truck. I'll try to get a post up in FfA about the whole story. Saturday starts early getting youngest grand-daughter to HS for a day trip to Kings Island with the HS choir; will end late too picking her up when they return. In between, hope to be able to meet up with a guy about an used air compressor plus it's time to start mowing again. Sunday being Mother's Day, after church, lunch out, trips to two cemeteries, then probably end the day on an ice cream run. After that get rested up for Monday...oh wait, I have Monday off:lol:

Whatever you and everyone else have planned, be safe.:excl:

Packing, packing and more packing for Tami and I.

As we are working on getting our house ready to put on the market in June we have been getting everything off the walls and packing & wrapping things in bubble wrap.

The funny thing dealing with packing is that I had gone to Home Depot to pick up some cardboard boxes. They were 2$ each for the large boxes which wasn't too bad as they were cheaper than U-Haul. I also bought a large roll of bubble wrap which cost about $20. Well, Tami said that she ran out and that we should go to her school in the "Occupational Therapy" room as there was a big roll of bubble wrap that was donated by someone about 4 years ago and it was never used. Now I thought that it would be a roll about the size I got from Home Depot, but I was wrong....very wrong. I went into the class and there was this HUGE roll of bubble wrap that was 4'-5' in diameter and 3'wide. I thought I could put it into the back seat of my 4 door Ford F150 but it would not fit through the door. So I have a lockable hard cover for my truck bed  and I put it in there and the cover would not close all the way due to the size of the bubble wrap so I had to get a strap and tie it down to the bumper.

Next Saturday May19th we will do our first of 2 Garage Sales to get rid of stuff but also to support our daughter Elizabeth as she will be moving out. So I got a fair amount of work ahead of me this coming week to get all the things out that we need to sell. I have a bunch of good lumber and all the mobile bases and platforms for moving around that I will not be taking with us.

So we will see how things work out.

5 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

The entire house is coming down.  The original home was about 1200 square feet but the previous owner piece mealed 5 rooms onto it.  The structure when we began was right at 2,000 sq ft.  My son bought it from Freddie Mac as a foreclosure and it was going to be condemned.   He'll have about $10,000 in the entire project when it is complete.   The goal is to create a green space with fruit trees for the neighborhood.  BTW, the $10,000 doesn't include beer for the demo crew.  That takes it to nearly $11k.  😅

Yep, demo creates a powerful thirst. I do hope the quench was after demo

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Ron, a fine thing your son is doing for the community. 

Will any useable lumber result?

Funny you asked Gene.   We were able to salvage enough 2x4s, 2x6s and OSB to build a 12 x 16 barn.  That project will begin soon, I suspect.