Starting To Build A Tea Pot.

Smallpatch

Too bad I don't exactly know what it is I am doing since you are putting in out somewhere else.  Then I might could explain why this happened or what went wrong causing this big black eye or something going through the window that wasn't sunlight or something else...

Like I said before, I don't have the bits or knives or knowledge to hollow anything out so the one of oak will end up on the heavy side...

Maybe I better take some pictures along the way of how I go about making the handle and spout and the legs to maybe get a good match up according to size and shape. But I think a lot of that is up to the builder of said things...Or at least that is what I will lay it on if all else fails... But first I have to find that sack of rubber bands so I can start eyeballing these things attached to the body so I can start thinking about something.....

I think I have made myself clear as to how I feel about working with oak.......cracks, cracks, cracks. And for sure I have had to stop and fill some as I started turning this one. It was opening up right before my eyes...

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I did today. I first cut the handle and spout out of maple and since no one ever looks at carving, usually just a glance, I carved the spout today and still have the lines on the handle waiting to see if I accept what I did to the spout.... which when finished will be somewhat deeper grooves but hey, still in the learning mode.IMG_0290.JPG.a0b9473a2c768c640fdc06b0f4d57b47.JPG

I think I will leave the big knots, one on each side of the pot bottom just to let people see what a person starts with.  They cave in almost 1/2" deeper than the rest of the shape.

The maple will probably be stained a dark something since I don't ever spend that extra money for the exotic stuff which 99 % of all the people could never identify the species anyway...

This real small carving type I have never done before and it is hard for me to see how someone starts the process.

It seems like most of the bits I have are of the medium size and it seems to take some very small tools for this. So we will see how easy it is to screw up... I am finding flawed work in curves is easier to cover up.

20 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

I got this much done since lunch.

Ya' know Patch, I've been thinking about how one might finish the handle and spout on this one since you've done all the intricate carving.

Have you ever used gold, silver or copper leaf? Being honest, I've done only one small project ever so no authority or expert.

I have seen it done on some WW'ing shows...IMHO, one or combination of all would really look great on this particular T-pot and enhance the spout and handle much like a real tea-pot

I think you can buy the supplies at most Hobby Lobby &/or Michael's stores...

Might be a technique for @Ron Altier to consider for some of his ornaments too...

Anyway, something to consider but don't mind me, I've been whacked in the head a few times. :P

Dave I have and on carving as small as I am doing its very hard to press it down in the small grooves. It doesn't stretch at all and is real easy to tear and come apart. Yes Hobby Lobby was where I have bought some in the past... The first I bought was at Albert Constantine and was called Gilding supplies, I think.

Gerald, that is what I use to trim some of my doings back when I thought I needed to add that wow feature. Way easier than the gelding gold leaf and easy to apply with the finger...I think I have maybe five different color tones of it from Hobby L. My name for it is cold cream....

Edited by Smallpatch