What To Do With My Tools ?

Al B

I've been pondering the idea of selling my tools. It"s getting harder to get into the shop, with the aches and pains in these aging bones. My head tells me to sell, but my heart says no. I've kept active all my life, but, at 86+, it seems that no matter what, the body keeps loosing strength. As a youth ,I could press 150 lbs 10 times easily. Now I can't lift 100 lbs off the ground. Actually, a struggle to pick a bag of cement. All the yard work this spring from the fallen tree branches, from the winter storms, sort of found muscles to that I didn't know I had. 

43 minutes ago, Gerald said:

maybe sell off the stuff you never use

YES!

And keep the ones you use most, and perhaps find a different venue to work the wood.

@It Was Al B, when you do woodworking, what do you build? Casegoods? Flatwork? Small boxes? Turn? What do you do now that makes you question your strength and agility?

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm thinking Gerald might have hit on something, at least for now. I still want to get into the shop, and I know that if the Table saw or Band saw are gone, I'll be wishing I had them. There are some tools that haven't been used, like the pneumatic stapler, Brad nailer, finish nailer, Spray painter,and a few other odd items. I actually bought the Wagner spray painter a couple of years ago and never used it.

I'm not just laying around. My yard work has really kept me busy. I just replaced the battery and starter on my 14 yr old JD lawn tractor. It's still running thanks to Dave. 

I've just been a bit down on myself because I've always been in the habit of being on the go.

I won't be doing jumping jacks for exercise. The arthritis in my hip makes that a no-no.

Al don't even think of selling anything until it all sells in one day like an auction. That way it is all gone in one day. Nothing is left to put in the trash or taking to the dump.. This is what I want my wife to do. Besides if you are healthy enough to work in the yard even just an hour or so each day that is better on your body than to sit and watch tv or something like that.  Good luck with the rest of your life. As for me I done told my wife there will be no   homes for old folks for me.. I told her to take me , a big heavy chain from the shop, one of the anchors and row me out to the deep part of the lake, tie it all on my legs somehow, throw me in, wave by and go back to the house.......I might be kicking and screaming but without my hearing aids in I might not here myself and besides this will be much better than dying in a bed somewhere......

21 hours ago, John Morris said:

YES!

And keep the ones you use most, and perhaps find a different venue to work the wood.

@It Was Al B, when you do woodworking, what do you build? Casegoods? Flatwork? Small boxes? Turn? What do you do now that makes you question your strength and agility?

I was building small furniture, but in recent years, I've built several band saw boxes. There's always the home repair projects. Never got into turning.

My agility problem has to do with arthritis in my left hip. Sometimes makes even walking a chore.

I'm with Al on this subject. Woodworking was something that I loved and was proud to do, but now I'm wore out. It took me quite a few years to figure out how thankless of a job that it actually is, and it's not getting any better in this country. The industry is killing itself off.  I've often thought of selling the machinery that I have, but know someday that I'll need it for projects around the home, so I still have it all. 

I haven't been able to pick up a bag of cement for 20+ years, didn't want to either. and my knees haven't been good enough for longer than that to finish it. I am at the stand up, or sit down jobs in the shops, have hired a guy to do the yard work too, got rid of all the yard tools, actually they were stolen from my garden shed, never replaced them, I figured that was a sign from somewhere that I shouldn't have them. They took the new 16hp. riding mower too, that was fun to use. Guess they had to have something to haul away the pressure washer, weed eater,,10k generator, chainsaw,compressor, and outboard motor and all the gas cans of fuel.

It was on Christmas Day too while I was out of town visiting my sister, must be some significance in that too.
herb

Stick, I've taken evening classes at the local VO Tech school. They recently budgeted I believe over 3 million $$$$ to upgrade some of the tools. THey want the latest technology in tools. The tools there are the tools I can only dream of having in my shop. I doubt they would want my used tools. When I took classes, I noticed that a lot of professional woodworkers paid for the classes, only to have access to the tools. Guess it's cheaper to pay the class fees than it is to buy the tools. They generally used the tools to joint boards on an long 8" joiner, plane to thickness with a 20" wide planer, resaw on the 18" band saw, and the list goes on.  Then they take the materials to their shop for assembly.

I've decided not make any foolish decisions, at least for the immediate future.

Edited by It Was Al B

My suggestion is similar to many above -- stay active.   Nothing worse than sitting all day in front of the boob tube.  Even if only for an hour or so a day on small projects, keep active.    When and if you want to sell your tools, I'd try to avoid the situation I've seen a few in -- put the tools in storage and not use them.  They get rusty and belts degrade and lose value.  Use 'em or lose 'em -- both your skills and your tools.