It's Hard To Help Some Folks.

I search CL tools every morning and often come across ads for the older Craftsman radial arm saws. If there's a pic and a low price, I'll email the owner and inform them of the recall for $100, along with a link to the website. There has been some unusual reactions to this over the years. One guy emailed back and asked me to not send him such info. Another (who was asking $75 for his saw) mailed me a check for the extra $25 thanking me for informing him. More common is nothing, or a "thank you" email. But this morning I got an email that said: "THE  NAME ON  THIS  SAW  HAS,  SEARS  &  ROBUCKS.    OPEN  FOR  OFFERS,  JUST  WANT  TO  UNLOAD  IT.". This person doen't even know that the Craftsman name is what Sears used on their saw. You have to wonder how these folks come into the saw in the first place....hand me down or something, I guess.

I bought one of these at an auction a few years back for $40 and promptly disassembled it.  A very quick $60 profit plus I sold the table adjusting screws on eBay for another $20.  I was at a rummage sale last year and a guy had one up for sale and I told him about the recall.  I ran into him later and he said the offer has expired.  Don't know if that is the case though.  For the record, I hate radial arm saws.  A quick way to get hurt.

In an attempt to see if the recall was still in effect, I found this

Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.

Send me some donuts, Gene and I won't rat you out.

7 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.

Two of these sold at an auction three weeks ago and they got about $200 each for them.  I told the auctioneer and one of the guys that was bidding on it but they didn't care.  Sometimes you justr can't fix stupid.

19 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Told the guy about the recall and that I could get $100 for it. He offered. I accepted. 

I'll send the donuts soon. Go wait by the mail box.:rolleyes:

Hey...the smilies are back. Yippee.

Edited by Gene Howe

39 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

That recall hasn't expired, but it did change a little. At first certain models got a replacement table and blade guard, others got $100...now it's $100 regardless of model (they ran out of the tables/guards).

Thanks for that info.  I have one they would send a guard for but I never applied for it.  Been thinking of getting rid of mine so I think I will apply for the recall and take the $100.

Interesting though this Recall seemed to apply only to Sears/Craftsman and not Montgomery-Wards, J.C. Penny's (rebrands),  Ryobi, B&D, Delta, DeWalt or any of the other RAS manufacturers of the same era.

If it did I never saw any details, fixes or buy backs. I see those on CL or eBay quite often.

7 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Thanks for that info.  I have one they would send a guard for but I never applied for it.  Been thinking of getting rid of mine so I think I will apply for the recall and take the $100.

Sold mine years ago.

I bought mine years ago off CL for $35. and have used it everyday since. I love that old saw and use it for 90% of my cross cuts, got rid of those crappy miter saws that can't cut more than a 2X6 an you have to lift it up to get the final 1/4". The RAS even takes up less room in the shop than the SMS.

I was raised on a RAS, and have cut thousands and thousands of cuts on them. In fact one of the first jobs I had was as a sawman in a prefab houseing factory. we cut everything including 6X14 headers and beams with them, they had all sizes of RAS from 9" to 16" blades.

At one time they were dadoing the top and bottom plates for the studs W/1 1/2" wide dado on the RAS.

Herb

Like 'em so well, I've got three of them; bought all of them used; first was nearly 40 years ago. (2) Craftsman that qualify for the $100 "rebate." plus a B&D....all 10."

It only took once to learn not to rip with one (full 2"x4" 'seasoned oak), but aside from that I've used it a lot...framed a couple of houses & garages plus thousands of feet of fascia, soffitt, and vinyl siding;

I replaced the switch years ago from the old ignition switch lock-out type and the motor bearings, oh and the cord from dry rot...

I bought it's cousin about 10 y/o mainly in case I needed parts plus it was on an original cabinet for $60; hardly ever had been used best I can tell...Even the old ignition safety switch works as it should.

They'll be in the Estate Sale someday unless each of the grandson's take one.:P