You Know You Have Too Much Scrap Wood When.

I have a 3 car garage and the 2 car side door broke a spring. So I called a garage door repair guy to install the new springs. So since my wife's car was parked on the 2 car side I had to move things around to open the single car side so that the guy could get in. So I moved my table saw and then got the single car door unlocked (note: that door has not been opened for about 3 years so there was a lot saw dust build up and spider webs). So once I got the door open I had to move my scrap wood cart. What I did not expect was finding out that I am a recovering scrap wood hoarder and was unprepared to deal with the weight of the wood cart. So once I got the single garage door open I almost got a hernia trying to move it out onto the driveway. So the garage door guy got the new springs installed and headed out to his next job. 

So I swept up all the sawdust and went to roll the scrap cart back into the garage and out of the 6 wheels on the cart I had 3 of them all fail due to the weight. So I figured that it was time to get rid of most of the scrap. I ended up filling up the back of my pick-up more than half full and took it to the dump. I did save some of the old scraps and exotics and was able to get the scrap cart back in the garage using a 2 wheel hand truck. It was sad as I had to toss the scrap wood at the dump, but it had to be done. On the way home I swung by Home Depot and picked up 6 new swivel wheels of better quality. 

20180428_100702.jpg

Edited by Allen Worsham
Spelling

My scrap bin or at least one of them almost takes a tractor to move and it has 5 inch cast wheels on it. I found that I could move it by turning the wheels in the direction  I want it to go with a crow bar and then attach chain at wheel level and pull verrrry hard. This is an old pic and yes it has more on it now.

1903614756_Lumberaframe(med).jpg.e77f1b7a1df94084da64d09bc26ab037.jpg

No such thing as scrap -- just wood awaiting the right project.   

Don't ever get into making small boxes or pen turning -- you will never want to get rid of anything.

But I have a cutoffs box -- thin rippings (less than 1/2" wide) and another for end cut-offs (rough cuts, cracks, working around knots, splits and other defects, curved piece cutoffs, etc.)   Now that I live out in the country we have a "burn pile" like all the neighbors.   What doesn't go there is saved for campfire kindling.  When the box gets full, time to strike a match.

8 hours ago, Gerald said:

My scrap bin or at least one of them almost takes a tractor to move and it has 5 inch cast wheels on it. I found that I could move it by turning the wheels in the direction  I want it to go with a crow bar and then attach chain at wheel level and pull verrrry hard. This is an old pic and yes it has more on it now.

This is very unsafe...to minimize your risk for any injury you should ship half to me. I only suggest this because I care about your safety.:rolleyes:

Trash can full of wood shavings make a very good fire starter in the Fire Pit.....may need to add a large magnet IN the trash can..:rolleyes: 

Cut-offs, old jigs with too many holes....if it would fit in the Fire Pit, that is where it will go..

Seem to be able to find a use for some of the "better" scrap wood, though.....

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2018 at 3:52 PM, kmealy said:

No such thing as scrap -- just wood awaiting the right project.   

Don't ever get into making small boxes or pen turning -- you will never want to get rid of anything.

But I have a cutoffs box -- thin rippings (less than 1/2" wide) and another for end cut-offs (rough cuts, cracks, working around knots, splits and other defects, curved piece cutoffs, etc.)   Now that I live out in the country we have a "burn pile" like all the neighbors.   What doesn't go there is saved for campfire kindling.  When the box gets full, time to strike a match.

Yes there is.......there is only so much you can save and so so much you can build. 

If it's a hobby it's not too bad but if you work in the business even if you have hobby it gets pretty loaded fast....

Edited by BillyJack