Start Of The Season, Part 2, Auction 'Fun'

steven newman

A fellow that was not only a farmer, but worked to restore farm items, and also fixed up and sold cars and trucks....was having an "Estate Sale/Auction today...

Located on a hilltop, over-looking the Great Miami River in DeGraff, OH.    Parking was....the usual...found an old farm lane to a house that USED to be on the property ( along with a dozen other people) and parked the van.....found out I was only half way up the hill....to get TO the auction, I had to "take the high ground"  ....Number on my bidding card was almost 400 ( 398!)   walked around awhile....found a pile of saws laying on the wet grass.    Had to stand my ground,  as others were walking through and OVER things.   Almost needed a flak vest and steel toed boots!     Wind was a steady 20mph, and it was about 40 degrees out...two Auctioneers were going at the same time, different areas.   Whew,

They finally made their way to where I was standing firm....He "packaged the 11 saws into a single item...then I got into a bidding war....for the wet and rusty saws.....won it @ $20!   sheesh!

Some of the saws were prunning saw (2) and there were the usual "Meat saws"   (4) decided I didn't need those, so I tossed them back into the auction. 

Then it was off to find a few yard sales, and raid a couple Antique stores...meh...very slim pickens....The  place up in Huntsville, OH has the "Junk in the Box"    dug around there a bit, and found two whole items...WOW!

drill.jpg.348fe52ac21e52db719ebe1be0aa00d4.jpg

That little Handyman eggbeater, with an 1/8" brad point bit.    And that screwdriver.    The metal framed "saw" was hidden under the saws...Bonus?

There was a 20" "DeVille" brand saw..

DeVille.jpg.bb0748c2d3ea562eb501d73e6fa3b8d8.jpg

Will be a decent enough Toolbox saw.  which left 5 full sized hand saws.

5ae51a4d91a85_Atkins59.jpg.c85133ab8af00724d0b0c22041316676.jpg

Atkins No. 59, 8ppi, 26" long...later model...yeah, these were pretty dirty..but, all the plates were straight as can be, and sharp!

Couple warranted Superior saws...one seems to be a D-7 style ( forgot to get a picture of the No. 59...this is the WS/ D-7..ooops)

5ae51b1f736b2_mysterysaw.jpg.b38ab26d9a4df0d011c5d15dd59183b6.jpg

And this Mystery saw....There was also a Craftsman clone of a D-23..

Craftsman.jpg.e66a0be1aa545f1a8c7915ed38b65328.jpg

Late 50s model.   Then there was a Disston & Sons D-8, 10 ppi, 26" long crooscut..

D8.jpg.fef4858944e914cb6a71bf64db1458b3.jpg

That top bolt is a replacement Mr. Cook did.    All the rest are Brass, top one is steel, and rusted solid.   Plate is arrow straight, and them tiny teeth are very sharp. 

Legs are a bit crampy tonight,  put a few "miles" on them.  Will update as I rehab these treasures...at least the "good" ones...

Well, got to messing around last night, and worked on the Disston D-8....one bolt had been replaced long time ago with a steel one...that is now rusted in place.   Will just leave it there...the rest are brass, no rust there..

overview.jpg.77053d684b23dde47f2cac2c19e632cb.jpg

The heel is sitting in a saw kerf the saw made.   10 strokes of this saw went that far down.    Might try to remove the fingerprints..later

close-up.JPG.a2a0498224948103d71614bceebabae9.JPG

Sanded the handle, and added a coat of amber shellac.   IF I get the shoptime today....might get another of those "new" saws done...