Sewing Cabinet

kmealy

Very nice cabinet. It's a little hard to see from the photo, but have you cut a bead and groove at the top and a groove at the bottom to simulate the top detail? - that's a clever way to disguise the applied plywood bottom while adding a very stylish detail to the drawer front. I'll have to keep that in mind in case I have a project like that in the future - fortunately my wife doesn't sew so I know it won't be a sewing cabinet. Sitting here, thinking that using 1/4" BB plywood for the bottom would give you a striped effect to the edge (5 plies) and this could be duplicated by cutting a narrow strip and attaching it to the top of the drawer front, same narrow groove top and bottom to separate the front from the striped bead. 

13 hours ago, tomp said:

Very nice cabinet. It's a little hard to see from the photo, but have you cut a bead and groove at the top and a groove at the bottom to simulate the top detail? - that's a clever way to disguise the applied plywood bottom while adding a very stylish detail to the drawer front. I'll have to keep that in mind in case I have a project like that in the future - fortunately my wife doesn't sew so I know it won't be a sewing cabinet. Sitting here, thinking that using 1/4" BB plywood for the bottom would give you a striped effect to the edge (5 plies) and this could be duplicated by cutting a narrow strip and attaching it to the top of the drawer front, same narrow groove top and bottom to separate the front from the striped bead. 

Yes, the bottom plywood is disguised by a 1/8" radius beading bit.   I did the same on the top, though it would have worked without.  It looked a bit different from the QSWO front, but it all blended in once stained and glazed.

On the touch up kit drawers, I just rabbeted the front piece and the plywood bottom does not go all the way to the front.

image.png