Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

Ikea, Meet Mr. Robot

Rate this topic

If this is the end goal this will never get off the ground...who needs instructions...

image.png.e5837538f6dcb60837637dfa1694e441.png

Being that my wife and I have not just 1 IKEA store but 2 IKEA stores within 30 miles from our home here in Corona, CA, I have to say that it takes me longer than 8 minutes and 55 seconds to just open up the box and get all the pieces out. I also have to say that my wife and I have bought many things from IKEA for her classroom as well as book cases, kitchen items, housewares for our home and we always pick up a package of these special cookies that they have and munch on them as we drive home.

I was doing a job for a guy a couple of years ago, some recliner work in the basement.  He had just finishing putting in a kitchenette/wet bar in the rec room.  About 12-14' of IKEA kitchen cabinets wall and base.   He said he had 90 some boxes of stuff and the first piece took 2 days to assemble.   Fortunately, the rest went a bit faster, as these things seem to do, once you get in the groove.  But he said he would not do it again.

When IKEA opened a store in town, they were looking for techs to go out and assemble furniture for people ("Have little allen wrench, will travel).   I decided unless there were jobs that got over 5 pieces, it probably would not be profitable for me, given travel time and maybe even having to stop by the store and load up the boxes.

That particle board is heavy too, Follow the yellow line from the front door to the check stand, takes about an hour, then you have to find your vehicle,after your sense of direction is all messed up.

Herb

saw a lot come to the shop that people wanted repaired...

refused all requests..

I actually made chairs for IKEA once. They were sold as "Special" at a Toronto area store. Styrofoam shells, upholstered.

John

18 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Saw an Ikea store once. Two doors from Harbor Freight. :lol:

Since H precedes I, simple choice which one to visit. I prefer Italian meatballs anyway.:D

Edited by Grandpadave52

if you got to the robot store, do they hand you a box of parts that another robot has to assemble into a working robot, that then in turn assembles your chair, so you can finally sit down and watch your robots bring you a beer?

7 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Since H precedes I, simple choice which one to visit. I prefer Italian meatballs anyway.:D

Somebody doesn't know their alphabet, I guess. The establishment between is Jose's Taberna. Bar maid is Jacinta. 

On 4/25/2018 at 12:59 AM, Stick486 said:

saw a lot come to the shop that people wanted repaired...

refused all requests..

The connector bolt on a Poang chair broke off.   The store does not carry replacement parts.  There is a bin in the "as-is" part of the store, but none there.  It did seem like a good place to buy Euro-hinges,though.   They Fed-Ex'd a couple of bolts.   I have a hole box of connector bolts, none were long enough and none were metric.   They did give me a new arm in the store, and I managed to pull the threaded connector out of it because the old one got messed up, too.  It was my chair, if someone wanted a repair, I'd have just told them it was cheaper to buy the $39 chair.  It's a really comfortable chair, though.

image.png.51d406b46a24f248c2d4f0f53080f223.png

IKEA built a huge store about 5 miles from us. Having never even heard of one, we went to investigate.

My first impression was that the engineering that went into the shopping carts was amazing. All four wheels rotated for short turns and locked automatically into/off of conveyor belts that transport people's

purchases up and down quickly. From that point on, I wan't too impressed. They did have some very bright LED flexible neck lamp that work perfectly with wood shop tools. I got 2 for $10 each. I found some great shelving material in their bargain dept. Of course I cut to fit. 

The only other thing I really liked was a 2 egg breakfast for $1.00 (early morning), I got 2.  Then I discovered that the only way out of the eating area was thru the store and it wasn't open yet. I had to wait 10 minutes for that. I'm sure they had to comply with fire evacuation laws, but I looked all over for emergency exits and didn't see any. I'd think it should be prominently displayed.

Job interview at IKEA

image.png.d2135426b998597e0071595ad247056e.png