Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I caught most of this episode Saturday on one of our local PBS channels as a part of the A Craftsman's Legacy Series. The original broadcast was dated 2015 but I'd never seen this episode. I really enjoy the series.

First video is the PBS trailer clip for the episode. To watch the full episode go to http://www.craftsmanslegacy.com/user/login  You have to create an account to gain access to watch the full episode.

You can also go to https://www.youtube.com/user/curtisbuchanan52 and watch the uncompressed versions of his process. No doubt many of you have knowledge of him...I'd never heard of him...really enjoyed watching.

there are plenty of skilled men and women making things in their shops in anonymity and obscurity all over this country and the world that never get noticed except by the people they make things for, and plenty of those would not welcome a camera or microphone invading their peace.

Another successful woodworking business!

I have most definitely heard of him. I have featured him here in our community many times with like videos and links, he is one of my favorite builders. From logs to chairs, a wonderful craftsman.

He is well known, I would venture to say that many here, just don't travel in those circles, so he may appear a sleeper, or unknown, but I assure you he is most definitely known to his peers and his customers around the nation.

Remember folks, because we may not know who a woodworker is, does not mean he/she is not known, but it may be our own narrowly focused world we have on woodworking. That's not a bad thing, it just is what it is. We have our interests and that is it, but there is a whole world of various genres of woodworking, that are very popular and the men and women who work in those genres, are very well known.

36 minutes ago, John Morris said:

but I assure you he is most definitely known to his peers and his customers around the nation.

From the quick research I did after watching the show, this statement is very true. His chairs reside in many places of prominence throughout Tennessee and the nation including Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.

From his website, it appears he offers on-site classes which are well attended and most often have no open seats. Quite a humble man with a great gift and desire to pass on his legacy.

That's what I enjoy about the show A Craftsman's Legacy...it exposes me to crafts, skills, people and traditions I might not encounter otherwise.

I just had never heard of him (but I don't get out much:P)...Already book marked his site and I will watch more of his craft.

I'd bet relatively few people outside of the woodworking community have heard of Maloof or Krenov, either. But then, they worked before the advent of the internet.

There's always Steve Ramsey and Izzy Swan, though.:rolleyes:

many years ago, i went to the woodworker's show in baltimore (cold jan day), and near the back was a nice man with a Maloof type rocker that he had made.  it was lovely.  he was a slight man of Asian origin, i'm tall of German origin.  he was promoting his classes he gave (well, he charged for them) in his CA shop.  i asked if i could sit in the rocker.  sure.  thank you.  and i did.

it was immediately obvious that he had made that chair for someone his size.  it was too narrow in the hips, and i was tending to tip forward, not backwards.

so in his mind, that chair was a success, but to me it was a failure, as it was not comfy to sit in.

never saw him again at later shows.

he was good at self promotion and marketing, but not so much at making a rocker for someone my size and shape.

I have enjoyed these, but I get tired of the multiple reruns! At least three times already! LOL!

Edited by oldwoodie

5 hours ago, oldwoodie said:

I have enjoyed these, but I get tired of the multiple reruns!

Yeah, some of them seem to rerun too frequently but this one I had never seen.  I do enjoy the series.

Re runs don't bother me, as I can't remember the first run.:( It's a brand new world every day....hour????

51 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Re runs don't bother me, as I can't remember the first run.:( It's a brand new world every day....hour????

Now we can watch all our favorite shows for the first time again:D