Is It A Tool?

p_toad

I don't know what this is; well, not exactly...and by that i mean the block of metal and not the steel square next to it.  Part is attracted to a magnet; the brassy color part is not.   But i've never seen anything like this  "together" and  am curious; thought someone might know and elucidate.

IMG_0481-250.jpg

IMG_0478-250.jpg

IMG_0477.JPG

13 hours ago, Stick486 said:

it's a size 5 or better motor/lighting control replacement contact bar...

Thanks.   Not like any motor contacts i have seen before (and i have a bunch of them).   Search hasn't found me what i want, so i'll have to poke around some more.  :)

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

It may be a metal working project exercise.

My thoughts too John... Perhaps someone in a Tool & Die or Machine Repair Trades Course/Apprenticeship project.  A really cool joint though between ferrous & nonferrous material.

@p_toad..Pete in the bottom picture at about 2-1/4" -- 2-1/2" is that an indentation or just a finger print/stain? It sure looks like a machined indentation???

If it is (was) for electrical use in some sort of bus bar for high voltage/amperage shouldn't it be made of copper &/or aluminum vs brass/steel? I'm struggling with the purpose of joining two dis-similar metals in this fashion for electrical use. I would think there would be excessive arcing at the joint but I'm probably wrong.

9 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

If it is (was) for electrical use in some sort of bus bar for high voltage/amperage shouldn't it be made of copper &/or aluminum vs brass/steel? I'm struggling with the purpose of joining two dis-similar metals in this fashion for electrical use. I would think there would be excessive arcing at the joint but I'm probably wrong.

I was thinking that since the brass parts are on the top and bottom it could connect the electric at those points and the steel part was just for strength.    More of a plug type item that could change connections to reverse a motor.   This would be for the large industrial machines.   Just a guess.   Roly

20 hours ago, John Morris said:

It may be a metal working project exercise.

I have the same thought.  The brass part cannot be removed from the steel part looking at the features.  The brass may have been two pieces and brazed together when in place or the brass was poured into a mold with the steel part and machined later.  Either way it is a complicated process and therefore would not be used in manufacturing.  But then I worked on forklifts in an engineering plant and one time i went in there and they were trying to find a way to weld thick copper bars to an iron tub and saw some pretty weird things there.  Had something to do with a salt water process but I can't remember what.  I do remember seeing enough copper stacked new and in a waste pile off to the side that would have been a few years pay in scrap metal.