Garage Door Hinges

kmealy

I noticed recently that my overhead garage door was  not closing properly.  So I investigated and found that the hinge/roller was broken.   But it had been repaired by a handyman by adding a butt hinge further down the joint.   (handyman as in , "Hey, here's a butt hinge that's handy.")    Anyway the sheet metal bolts on the butt hinge had pulled out.    

So I looked and found HD and Lowes both carry "universal fit"  "fits all doors" garage door hinges that accept rollers.  Unfortunately, the come in a #1, #2, #3 and #4 style.  So much for  being "universal," eh?    Short on time, I just picked up one of each and tried to sort it out when I got home.  They all seemed to have different offsets to the roller axle.  Well, the #2 was the closest fit.  The instructions were not terribly helpful.  There was a cryptic IKEA-like diagram INSIDE the blister pack, under the hinge.  It appears that #1 is on the lowest joint, #2 on the next, etc.

In case you need to know.  If you know better than my educated guess, enlighten me.

Edited by kmealy

57 minutes ago, Roly said:

The mounting brackets are different top to bottom also.  The tracks are not mounted parallel to the door frame so it just presses against the seal when closed. Roly

I didn't know that, good to know,thanks.

Herb