Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners April 18, 2018

lew

Another busy week here for the Patriot turners!

@Ron Altier asked a question concerning the angle on the skew chisel- curved or straight? Seems most of your turners prefer the straight cutting edge. Why not head over to Ron's post and provide him with your preference-

@oldwoodie Asked for our input on assembling pen kits. He is concerned about installing the pen refill in an older pen kit-

He was also unsure about whether pressed in parts need to be glued in place-

I know some of you have turned pens and you may be able to help him out.

I have always had trouble trying to make my turning look more elegant. They always seem out of proportion or clunky. I've read about the "Golden Mean" and how it can be used to create a visually appealing product. And then there is the "Rule of Thirds".  Which to use??? Here is some reference material to help make that decision (or make it more confusing).

I pulled these from the Internet and have left the authors details within each-

http://www.westbaywoodturners.com/tutorial/pdf_files/Woodturning_Design.pdf

This link show a plane for creating a "golden section gauge"-

http://www.goldennumber.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/golden-section-gauge.gif

Finally a detailed video explanation of the Golden Mean and why it may not be so important. Be warned, the video is quite lengthy-

While answering an email from another site, I found this marvelous turning site-

http://hampstevens.com/

th_dsc_0965.jpg.3a509168e040c2a8151c62c76ca6069e.jpg

Mr. Stevens will graciously provide instructions on how to turn these seemingly impossible spheres. If interested, he can be contacted at- 

hamp@hampstevens.com

@Jim from Easy Wood Tools and our friend from Easy Wood Tools posted a video introducing the Easy Wood Tools with Tracey Malady. This is a great video for those interested in getting started with Easy Wood Tools. You may have recently read that the Easy Wood Tools are now available in the UK! Our fellow turners, across the pond, will finally get to use the best turning tools on the planet!

Not only are the EWT tools available in the UK but also the absolutely awesome Easy Wood Easy Chuck!

It's always nice to be able to make your own turning tools instead of buying them. Mike Peace shows us how to make a beading tool and a captive ring tool in a couple of his latest videos.

Safe turning