Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
HandyDan

California Tries Hard But.

I am a retired environmental engineer. I worked in air pollution control and groundwater cleanup. Over the last 30 years, I have learned that it is human nature to deny the existence of a problem until it becomes so painfully obvious it can no longer be denied, Unfortunately, by then mitigation will be much more difficult and expensive to do, if possible at all. I prefer proactive prevention  rather than reactive cleanup. When working with the general public, we found they didn't understand what we were talking about in terms of science, engineering, or risks. Politics and corporate influence seriously impair understanding. Pollution is pervasive and long-lasting.

For some reason, people will believe politicians before they will believe scientists. Can't figure out why this is so. Politicians are notorious liars.

2 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

For some reason, people will believe politicians before they will believe scientists. Can't figure out why this is so. Politicians are notorious liars.

Hello Al. Part of the reason is human psychology and the comfort of denial. We would have to accept responsibility and take action if we believed them. Politicians lie to make us feel good, "Trust us. If there's a problem, we'll fix it." Pollution prevention is difficult and expensive, mitigation is many times worse. 

Everything that is wrong with America is to be found in California...

says a lot for the ruling faction(s)..

10 hours ago, Stick486 said:

Everything that is wrong with America is to be found in California...

says a lot for the ruling faction(s)..

True enough but, lets not forget the cesspool found in DC.

2 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

True enough but, lets not forget the cesspool found in DC.

It's more the creatures that are living in it we need to be aware of.

My family first came to Southern California in 1900 to work in the citrus industry and oil industry (most people don't realize how much oil southern California has). So I am 5th generation and my kids were 6th. So we have been here quite awhile. We lived in Yorba Linda, CA (Birthplace of President Richard Nixon) and it was a citrus community and had 3 packing houses (Orange, Lemon and Avocado) and was a great place to live. Back in the 20's and 30's the local churches got together and purchased the "Liquor License" for the city because they did not want any bars in the city to corrupt the people. Then came the 1970's and things took a turn for the worse. My Dad used to say "The whole nation is on a tilt and all the nuts roll to California." 

California has a lot of good things going for it, but the politics.....well.....there is a good reason that my wife and I are getting ready to leave California for greener pastures very soon.

1 hour ago, Allen Worsham said:

My family first came to Southern California in 1900 to work in the citrus industry and oil industry (most people don't realize how much oil southern California has). So I am 5th generation and my kids were 6th. So we have been here quite awhile. We lived in Yorba Linda, CA (Birthplace of President Richard Nixon) and it was a citrus community and had 3 packing houses (Orange, Lemon and Avocado) and was a great place to live. Back in the 20's and 30's the local churches got together and purchased the "Liquor License" for the city because they did not want any bars in the city to corrupt the people. Then came the 1970's and things took a turn for the worse. My Dad used to say "The whole nation is on a tilt and all the nuts roll to California." 

California has a lot of good things going for it, but the politics.....well.....there is a good reason that my wife and I are getting ready to leave California for greener pastures very soon.

Your dad had a very perceptive way with words. In the early 60s, my BIL used to call CA the cereal state because of all the fruits and nuts there. 

Can't blame you a bit for pulling up stakes. KY does indeed have some greener pastures.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:00 AM, Allen Worsham said:

. My Dad used to say "The whole nation is on a tilt and all the nuts roll to California." 

A guy I used to work with said, "I'm really glad most of the people that want to live in California actually do."

Last time I was there, I was driving to LAX in the middle of the afternoon on a what, maybe 12 lane bumper-to-bumper traffic expressway?  Nearly everyone I met with out there commuted 45-60 minutes to get housing they could afford.

Edited by kmealy