A Bolder Nearly . Took Me Down

Ron Altier

Today Karen, her dog and I went for a walk. About a quarter mile away is a fire station. I noticed my shoe lace was loose. I spotted this bolder you see. It is 4 ft wide and 2 feet high. It nearly took me down. I put my shoe up on it and as I transfered my weight to that foot, the bolder sank 8 inches and I struggled to stay on my feet. The darn thing was ultra thin fiberglass. It was put there to hide an old stop light base that had 4 very large bolts sticking up 6 inches. Don't they know old guy may need to sit on it too?

fiber rock.jpg

And now for a point of law (Yah it's what I do):  What you encountered is often called an attractive nuisance or attractive hazard.  These things are usually inadvertently created by persons whose motives are other than  to cause the issue you encountered.  Yet out of inadvertence of lack of forethought they end up  causing problems of various sorts, sometimes serious injury. 

Best thing is to tell them. Really best thing is to do it in writing.

This does two things: (1) It "provides notice" once they get that notice they have an obligation to address it or else the next guy who gets fooled and possibly injured  because maybe he couldn't keep balance and gets hurt - - well that guy can sue.   and (2) It informs them that the thing they thought was solving a problem merely created another.  Really they should have just poured some concrete.

Archived