All A Yall Know Bout This

Cliff

Seen too many like some of these...wrong tool(s) loaded in tool changer; broken tool installed in changer; wrong program for part being run and on & on...

Always the worst though when we had a power failures and everything crashed. Sometimes took days to get everything back up and running.

11 hours ago, Stick486 said:

no UPS???

why not???

Wouldn't help; save the program cycle maybe...dozens of machines like THIS and another manufacturers along with one of a kind stand alones some with multiple spindles performing concurrent operations with different tooling; dozen upon dozens of electric motors from 1 -200+ hp; heat treat furnaces, automated flushing and cleaning systems, electronic torque machines, etc.; we had stand-by generators but by the time the switch gear transferred the damage was done.

Machines had magnetic switches/e-Stops to prevent restarts or manually powered down immediately. Equate it to having every power tool you own running concurrently performing their various intended functions and someone walks over to the breaker box and cycles the main breaker. UPS' would not handle the load.

Not only did every machine have to be inspected, re-homed, but some lines would require sample runs before resuming production. All in-process parts also had to be culled and inspected.

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

ummm...

for the the controller/computer/program only not the motor...

Understood...that was the least of the concern or issue though...all programs, systems, networks were all backed up regardless both local and corporate since everything is proprietary; most machines files were sent from programmers either local or remote site to controllers via network. Rare if a file ever became corrupted or lost due to a power-outage. My OP was to the failure types demonstrated in the video.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:12 PM, Stick486 said:

no UPS???

why not???

Since I install my UPS I haven't had the power go out while the CNC was running so that's how mine works.  Actually it should have enough power to let me shut down and home the router so I can start back up with out problems when the power is back on. 

I should put one on this computer so I don't loose work when there is a power outage.  It happens several times a year and sometimes 7 or 8 times in a day.

1 hour ago, 4DThinker said:

UPS is worthless and will need replacing

I've had an APC on my computer for many years now (saved untold numbers of local power blips which would kill the computer) and when the batteries died some years ago i just ordered new ones online and stuffed them into the unit and recycled the old ones.   Not sure what kind of unit you are using.